Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thursday Chat  (Read 7790 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Thursday Chat
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:58:09 AM »

Well the white stuff has arrived(as promised) It started here about 5.30 as Sue was off to work.
Hope its not too bad where you live,
Have a good day and keep warm.  :)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Re: Thursday Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:27 AM »

Snowing here too.

I'll take your word for it that it's morning and good.

BBC1 and BBC2 Freeview don't like snow, getting no signal message, all the other Freeview channels are fine.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »

Morning one and all... ;D

Well, here it is grey but very mild. Lots of rain overnight, but no snow at all....... :clap:
Don't know what it is like further along the road and out of the valley and tis too dark yet to see the hilltops..........the valley rarely gets snow but we only have to go about six miles up onto the plateau to be in the drifts.

Nothing much on the cards today.

Hope you have a goon one and that you are not inconvenienced by the snow.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

Sunny and warm here. Now, where did I put my tee shirts? :no:

Have a nice day all of you.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:05:39 AM »

No snow at all here.

Although from news reports its bad near my brothers, so Im waiting to see if it clears up a bit before setting off to go see them/Ella.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:01 AM »

Morning one and all... ;D

Well, here it is grey but very mild. Lots of rain overnight, but no snow at all....... :clap:

Same here in Brmingham

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »

Turning to rain here now.Just seen on the news hundreds of schools are closed because of the weather,WHY!!!.A couple of inches of snow and the country's on its knee's.  :(
They never shut them when we were kids.  :'(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »

Too true, unkyUb, and when we were kids we would set out for school an hour earlier than normal to get in a bit of sledging and snow fights.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 08:31:27 AM »

Not forgetting the frozen milk and filthy bottles it usually came in.
And at least a mile walk to get there.
(Now I remember why I played the wag quite a lot)  :lol:

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:44:39 AM »

And all the men used to go out and clear the pavement and the road.  It never happens now, not in our street anyway :(  My husband used to do it but  is getting too old now.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and they hadn't even bothered to put a bit of grit on the steps up into the surgery, and the supermarket was the same, no car park gritting or path for the customers.  These used to be done as a matter of course

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »

And all the men used to go out and clear the pavement and the road.  It never happens now, not in our street anyway :(  My husband used to do it but  is getting too old now.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and they hadn't even bothered to put a bit of grit on the steps up into the surgery, and the supermarket was the same, no car park gritting or path for the customers.  These used to be done as a matter of course

Its all down to Health & Safety and our litigation culture. If they salt it and its still slippery its their fault  :no: What ever happened to being responsible for your own actions  :no:

Sadly there's no snow down this far, not surprised really as the sea temp is still around 10°C which keeps the temps up too much for us to see it.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »

The problem now with do-it-youself cleaning and gritting ( at least in Scotland.... don't know about England) is that having done so, you take on the liability in law for the condition of the pavement, and if some poor soul subsequently slips or tumbles..........you are responsible and can face a compensation claim, if not a charge of criminal neglect and/or causing actual bodily harm.

Just another example of the nanny state destoying local community spirit.  >:(

ooops, broadstairs beat me to it.  :)

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »

well you learn something new every day, I never thought of that.  How ridiculous, any clearing is bound to be safer than none at all >:(

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »

Set off for work, don't know if I've mentioned this before but I have to walk. :lol:

The snow turned to sleet about an hour ago so underfoot is now a one inch slushy mess on top of frozen ice, it is treacherous, slipped and slided and thought sod this for a game of tin soldiers took a left hand turn at the earliest opportunity and came home. Called in the co-op and they've got chickens at half price, so bought one, don't know whether to cook it now or freeze it for Christmas.

I know the councils gave up doing the pavements, but I'm sure they used to do the main ones leading to schools, but it appears they don't do even that now, hence a very scary walk from co-op to home, 'cos it involves negotiating a humpty back bridge which I'm sure they used to grit.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

How ridiculous, any clearing is bound to be safer than none at all >:(

Unfortunately not, because someone could see what "appears" to be safe, when it may well be a patch of black-ice.
If you have to walk through snow, you can see it and take the necessary precautions.
The same applies to the leaves on footpaths, which can be equally as slippery.

And yes, the same law is in force in England.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Pages: [1] 2 3