Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: XP and WPA-PSK  (Read 6516 times)

idlewilde

XP and WPA-PSK
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

Here goes, loverly people.

There's 2 pc's in my house. One runing Vista and One running XP.

The one running Vista is wirelessly connected to the net via the Netgear router I got for free from Sky.

I recently bought a Sitecom USB wireless adaptor to connect the computer with XP on to the internet but for some reason it won't work.

It finds the connection and says it's connected but I can't browse the web as the connection is lost immediately.

When I say "immediately", I mean that it initially connects, and then it immediately dies and says "not connected". I get a pop up saying "wireless networks detected". If I click that, it brings up all available networks except the Sky one. If I refresh it then shows the Sky one with "Automatic" on it. When I  click that then it goes round in circles to the start of this paragraph.

The properties of the connection are as follows:

"The Network Authentication is WPA-PSK and the Data Encryption is TKIP".

I can't log into the router, as Sky seem to have been decent enough to lock the router down.

Help. Please, please help me.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: XP and WPA-PSK
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »

I cant see how Sky would lock you out of the router as you have to be able to set things like pass phrases for wireless and login details for your broadband. Are you sure you are using the correct user and password? Make sure you are using the correct pass phrase for security.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

Access to some if not most routers is usually:

Password = password
User = user or login or admin

This is not secret information and it's always recommended that you change it ASAP by your supplier.

The correct info if not that above should be somewhere within the documents that were supplied with the router, or from the manufactures or suppliers website.

HTH

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »

Default settings:-

username = "admin", password = "sky"

You should also have been sent a small card with the network key, and iirc its also stuck on the bottom of the router.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

idlewilde

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »

You should also have been sent a small card with the network key, and iirc its also stuck on the bottom of the router.

This was one of the logins tried, and it flailed.  :(

Sky seem to have locked down the routers to stop people accessing it.

/bangs head against wall

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »

>  recently bought a Sitecom USB wireless adaptor

Where did you buy it from?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »

This was one of the logins tried, and it flailed.  :(

Sky seem to have locked down the routers to stop people accessing it.

/bangs head against wall

Most routers have a reset switch which will set everything back to factory settings, so using this should set the password back to default, I would not mind betting someone changed your password. It simply makes no sense to lock everyone out of a router like this, it would cause too much hassle for the Sky support staff. Look for a factory reset switch ....
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »

Wow another person having the same issue as I  :D I managed  to solve my issue with the WPA-PSK settings i had to disable WZC (Windows Zero Configuration) and connect using my cards software and regarding being locked out of the router settings it should be user = admin   pass = sky . Sorry but thats all the detail I can go into right now i'm having speed issues on the 2mbps service  :mad: 5kb/s bittorrent download :mad:
Imagine™