Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Slow Download speeds  (Read 23478 times)

glen_m_32

Re: Slow Download speeds
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »

hi kits,

I have done exactly as you have requested, the results are attached, does this shed any light on the situation?

Thanks

Glen

[attachment deleted by admin]

glen_m_32

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »

the last few tests

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »

Sorry - should have perhaps given you a link earlier - but thats not the NetMeter I meant, and I didnt realise there was a similar software of similar name 

The above version is totally free and not time limited, but it doesnt matter, because what you have seems to do the same thing anyhow.

From the speeds on there..  no its not anything related to IPprofile or capping, the speeds are far to variable for that.  Its even too variable for ellacoya shaping.

If anything it looks far more like congestion, either at the exchange or on ISP centrals, or something else sharing at your bandwidth. BT dont use centrals so that rules that one out.
Is it like that 24/7 even during the mornings?
If it was congestion you would at least expect to see peaks at some point much nearer your sync speed.

Just for the sake of elimination, have you checked your exchange here?
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »

woah - just seen the BT performance checker... now that is more like it... and that is what you should be getting!

Forget exchange contention its not that then.
The BTw performance checker, checks at the RAS with BT & Central Plus, therefore it looks like your problem occurs only when youre actually going through BTs part of the network.

Edited to add.

May be worthwhile phoning the special FUP number just to make sure you arent accidentally being throttled

FUP Team 0800 707 6044
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

glen_m_32

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »

and now you understand my complaint. why aint i getting that speed all the time? it is so frustrating

I will ring the FUP team now and let you know how it goes. although having just tried they are a 8-5 phone number

your PLusnet website says

"BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 28 Nov 08

Record last updated: 10 Nov 08"

What does that mean?

FYI, my speeds do not improve day or night but bt tester always says full speed.

Thanks so much again
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:02:47 PM by glen_m_32 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »

It means that at busy (peak times) some of the VPs are very busy due to lots of people in your area all using their connections at the same time.

Congestion through contention on the VPs is normally much worse between the hours of 5pm to 9-10pm as thats when most people want to use their connection.   Exchange congestion is normally ok during the wee small hours though.

Unfortunately the exchange checker is normally always a bit behind with updates since BT only release new info every couple of weeks.
However if it was exchange congestion, I would also expect the BTw performance tester to show slow speeds.
-----

glen_m_32

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »

thank you for clearing that up, so my best bet would be to ring the FUP team tomorrow. What is the FUP team and what do they o exactly?

Sorry about the question but i am into computer a lot but have never got to grips with ADSL as i have always had VM 20mb until i bought my own place!

thanks again

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »

>> What is the FUP team and what do they o exactly?

Its a specific department that are able to check to see if your line is being throttled due to their FUP being invoked.  Its something that their CS arent able to view.

>> Sorry about the question

nps - you wont know if you dont ask :)
-----

glen_m_32

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:15:46 AM »

according to FUP team i have no usage on my account therefore i can't be throttled (quote from nice lady on the FUP team). 

any more ideas? we are at teh limit of my knowledge now. The technical help team have said that my line tests ok and the results of the speedtester.bt.com are fast therefore everything is fine.

thanks for all your time and effort.

glen_m_32

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »

an update on my line stats, are these errors normal???

Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 15:24:27
Downstream 8,064 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleave
Noise margin (Down/Up) 11.3 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.0 dB / 16.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 11.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 6291 / 3
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 270 / 2147480001
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 213 / 1
Error Seconds (Local) 231

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »

Upstream CRC errors in those number indicate a definite Noise issue on the line.

It can sometimes point towards internal wiring and is most likely why you are seeing slow speeds, it is more than likely the conditions on your line causing slowness and not issues on the ISP side.

I am sure one of the gurus will confirm if my suspicions are correct... ;)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

glen_m_32

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »

thank you for the input Jid  8), but i do beleive that the upstream CRC errors are a reporting error of the home hub 2.

Internal wiring is impossible as i have none, just a single master socket with a ADSLNation Faceplate.

glen_m_32

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 08:16:58 AM »

i rang Technical support last night. Their systems were down and he could not do any tests so that was another 20mins of my life wasted. last night my internet was peaking at 1.4mb and again the speedtester.bt.com site said i was getting 7mb! i have also done some tests at other times, (6am 11am 4pm 7pm and 11pm) there is no change in speeds through any of the tests.

What is going on?? i am really lost with this problem now! :-\

Thanks

Glen

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »

I feel for your frustration. Apart from the false report of CRC errors there's nothing wrong with your stats, so nothing wrong with your physical connection. The problem has got to be further back, and I'm afraid only the ISP can sort it out for you. I've never dealt with BT as an ISP, but I believe that they have an escalation procedure whereby you can get your issue raised to a higher level for action.
  Eric

glen_m_32

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »

thank you roseway. i have tried pushing this firther up but the "technical help" department keep putting me through the same loop of calling the landline people and they will fix it. the landline tem can not help, ring bbtechnical help. they then raise it to engineers who "tweak" a setting at teh exchang which does nothin but rest my loop of technical help.

Does anyone know what sort of tests i can ask for to help diagnose the fault, bt dont seem to know.

Thanks again everyone is being very helpful.

Glen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything