Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DX10 Rendering ??  (Read 3811 times)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
DX10 Rendering ??
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »

Hello once again. I was just wandering I have a nVidia GeForce 7300GS 512mb DDR2 OC'd Version but I was wandering is this card capable of DX10 and does DX10 bring any performance advantaged against DX9.0c as I get pretty good FPS in most modern games (Fallout-3 med gfx setting,
WiC-med gfx settings, LOMAC-High gfx settings) and are there any steps or measure I can take to squeeze a bit more performance from my system.
Imagine™

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: DX10 Rendering ??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »

As long as you have the latest nvidia drivers installed, you will have the correct version of directX for your card.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:48 AM »

Not quite Floyd. DX10 is only on Windows Vista. DX 9.0c is XP.

DirectX 10 has significant improvements/enhancements in 3D graphics quality and effects but I'm afraid a 7300GS isn't going to be able to take advantage of most of them.

For once DX10 isn't hype - I play Eve Online (again, despite what I said 3 years ago  :-[ ) and although it looks stunning at 1680x1050 with 16x anti-aliasing (8800GTS with a Q6600 cpu) etc etc it looks noticeably better in DX10. My wife plays Lord Of The Rings Online (LOTRO) and when you see that in DX10 you can't help but be impressed.

Its still not worth installing Vista though  :lol: Well it probably is if you are a hard-core gamer if I'm being unbiased.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:11:30 AM by rizla »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »

Ah but is it worth buying vista just for directX 10?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »

What Rizla said I guess... if you're a hard-core gamer and have the graphics hardware to cope, it's a significant improvement on DX9.

It all comes down to the individual's choice. If you think it's worth it - then yes. If you don't, then no. That's my outlook on a lot of IT-related options - the majority of "must-haves" for some are options for most people - and Vista for me is still in an incredibly infantile stage - not the OS itself which has improved a whole lot, but I'm referring to the reasons for having Vista - there still aren't that many at the moment, and there are still plenty of reasons not to install it. The IT world has been very slow at making the transition to Vista, both hardware/software manufacturers and users. It's getting there, slowly.

I know I was happily using XP happily well before it was 2 years old (I originally had a dual-boot with Win98 for some old Windows/DOS games that didn't work in XP), but I haven't had that for about 5 years now. Certainly at the moment I have no plans to install Vista, as the one good reason to install it (gaming) is something I don't do enough to warrant spending silly money on a graphics card to make it all worthwhile, so for me there would be little to no point!

So I suppose what I'm saying is, it isn't really possible to give an opinion whether Vista is worth moving to, as it would be simply that - my own opinion. Hardcore gamers have always been the people to get the latest and greatest - often just for bragging rights(!), but occasionally because something really is much better than previously, so they can play games at silly resolutions and Extra-super-high Detail level with cherries on top!!! It's their hobby after all, and people tend to not mind spending a bit of money to enhance the enjoyment of a hobby.

Other people upgrade computers once there really is a beneficial upgrade, rather than just for the sake of having it. Everyone has their own requirements and as such it isn't possible to generalise.

For me, it wouldn't be worth buying Vista for DX10 as I wouldn't see the benefit at the moment. For other people, it's seen as an enormous improvement and is therefore a must-have! For anyone, and this applies to any new version of a product, it's only going to be worth buying Vista when your current operating system no longer provides the services that you require from your PC, i.e. when Vista would be an upgrade rather than a replacement.
Chris

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »

Yeah I guess you guys are right the really isn't much point in upgrading to vista and mr_chris I've seen people spend hundreds on their PC and the next day the PC just wouldn't work so I think I'll stick with my 7300GS for another 2-4 years well until nVidia upgrade their budget card range. Thanks for the help it seems I was getting a bit paranoid about my PC's performance  :)
Imagine™

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »

If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.  XP does everything I want, and does it very well... not to mention that it is good & stable (in comparison to 98SE say).

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »

From my point of view (and I play Eve more than is advisable ;) ) Vista still isn't worth buying or installing. I'm not going to consider it ever as I'd have to sort out 5 machines here and what's the point? XP does just fine. When and if Windows 7 puts in an appearance I'll think about that, but given that Eve runs on XP, Vista, Macs, and Linux I don't much care what I use :D

LOTRO on the other hand doesn't run on anything other than Windows......

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »

From what I've read in MicroMart magazine, and on their forums, where there is a definite gaming bias, most seem to agree that XP is the better platform for running games that need lots of resources.

For myself, I'm happy to stick with Sokoban for amusement.... and you could run that on win3.1.

anything