Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Maximum Stable Rate  (Read 6018 times)

PortyAL

Maximum Stable Rate
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »

Hi

I've been on MAXDSL for 8-9 months. Up until a couple of weeks ago my Maximum Stable rate as per my ISP was consistenly 3000kps. My router (Voyager 205) used to sync at 4096kps. It then decreased to appox 3400kps, but I always got download speeds in the region of 2.5mps which I was happy with. In the middle of Jan 07 however, I discovered my router was sync-ing at 1152mbs and my maximum stable rate per my ISP was 1000kps. (I had carried out a speedtest on 8th Jan and everthing was as usual, so the decrease happened since then). I didn't (or at least I think I didn't) do anything to bring about this decrease. Download speeds are now obviously less than 1mbs. The router is left on all the time and has been in the same phone socket / filter for the last 6 months. The BT Speedtest site gives the same info as above (i.e. downstream 1152, upstream 440).

Would anyone have any ideas why the rate would have dropped, or what I could do to try and find out why it has dropped?

Thanks

AL

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Maximum Stable Rate
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »

Hi Al, welcome to the forum.

The reason this happens is (usually) that something happens to increase interference, the router loses sync and then reconnects at a lower speed because of the interference. The first thing to do is reboot the router (if you haven't already) to check if the problem has gone away.

If it still syncs at the low speed, then the possible causes are (in no particular order):

- a faulty filter
- a line fault
- a new local source of noise

Try replacing the filter, and listen for any audible crackling on the telephone. Audible crackling should be reported to BT (dial 150). A read of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm may help you fix the problem. Can you get your router stats and copy them here?

Eric
  Eric

PortyAL

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:25:43 PM »

Thanks Eric

I tried plugging the router into the master phone socket (i.e. the one behind the face plate). The router sync-ed at 3904 kbs. I screwed on the faceplate again and tried the router again. It sync-ed at 960kps. This was with no other phones connected to any other sockets.

The router is now sync-ing at 928kbs in a socket in the kitchen.

Since my first post, my daughter accidently plugged a phone into a free phone socket without a filter. This obviously knocked off the ADSL, but even after removing the phone the router would not sync. I have since discovered that the reason was that every phone socket in the house except the main one and the one in the kitchen is currently "dead". This might explain the low sync now, but all sockets were working at the time of my first post.

I have posted my router stats below for information.

DSL Parameters and Status
Vendor ID: 0039 
Revision Number: Y1921a 
Serial Number: 123456789abcdx 
Local Tx Power: 12.13 dB
Remote Tx Power: 15.41 dB
Local Line Atten.: 45.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 28.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 10.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 18.0 dB
Self Test: Passed 
DSL Standard: T1.413 
Trellis Coding: Enable 
Framing Structure: Framing-3

Config Data Up Down
Intrlvd  Fast   Intrlvd  Fast   
AS0(kbps): - - 928 0
AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
LS0(kbps): 448 0 - -
LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
RValue: 16 0 16 0
SValue: 8 4
DValue: 4 8

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:38:31 PM »

hmmm

>> The router sync-ed at 3904 kbs. I screwed on the faceplate again and tried the router again. It sync-ed at 960kps.

So its all okish from the test socket - until you screw the faceplate back on.
I wouldnt have expected such degradation if no other phones were connected though.

After seeing the stats youve posted there doesnt seem to be much margin for improvement, once the faceplate is back on.
Particulary if youve been having problems and the DLM has perehaps increased your target snr to 9dB.

If I were you I'd do the test once more - just to ensure it wasnt a fluke - and I would certainly be looking at purchasing an adsl NTE5 filtered faceplate.

Just one final thought - when you tested from the main faceplate did you still use a filter - is it possible that this filter is past its past?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PortyAL

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »

hmmm

>> The router sync-ed at 3904 kbs. I screwed on the faceplate again and tried the router again. It sync-ed at 960kps.

So its all okish from the test socket - until you screw the faceplate back on.
I wouldnt have expected such degradation if no other phones were connected though.

After seeing the stats youve posted there doesnt seem to be much margin for improvement, once the faceplate is back on.
Particulary if youve been having problems and the DLM has perehaps increased your target snr to 9dB.

If I were you I'd do the test once more - just to ensure it wasnt a fluke - and I would certainly be looking at purchasing an adsl NTE5 filtered faceplate.

Just one final thought - when you tested from the main faceplate did you still use a filter - is it possible that this filter is past its past?

I used the same filter with the faceplate off and on.

I would reiterate that all this has happened since mid January. Everything was as normal up until then. I had done a speed test on 8th Jan on speedtest.net and was getting a download speed of over 2.5mbs which was my usual speed. I was on holidays from 13 - 20 Jan and when I came back I discovered the router was sync-ing at 1052kps. The router was on while I was away, so I don't know exactly when the decrease took place.

As regards the adsl NTE5 filtered faceplate - does this go on the main phone socket? The router is normally in the phone socket upstairs in the study (along with switches, printserver etc.) and not on the main phone socket. I'm still in the position of having only 2 working phone sockets in the house. Prior to an unfiltered phone being plugged into one of the free sockets on Monday, I had 6.

As you probably have gathered I'm not an expert on adsl or telephone wiring. So thanks for your help so far.

AL

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »

Yes, the filtered faceplate goes on the master socket. This is the ideal arrangement, but you do then need to do some extra wiring if your computers are elsewhere. If this isn't feasible then you really need to sort out your internal wiring I think. The big difference between using the test socket and using the normal socket suggests that your telephone wiring, or something connected to it, is the problem.

Just to be clear first, you haven't got any other telephone equipment such as a Sky box or a fax machine connected without a filter, have you. Sky boxes can be particularly troublesome, even behind a filter, and if you have one it would be worth disconnecting it to see if this helps.

If none of this applies then the wiring, or an internal source of interference, would seem to be the problem. One simple change which often helps is to disconnect the ring wire at the master socket faceplate. You can safely remove any wire(s) connected to terminal 3; just gently pull them out and bend them out of the way. It won't affect the ability of your phones to ring, because filters contain their own ring generating capacitors and electronic phones don't use the ring wire anyway.

Eric
  Eric

PortyAL

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »

When I tested the router at the main socket (face plate on and off), there weren't any other devices conected to any other sockets.

What puzzles me most is that up until mid-Jan it was working perfectly well then slowed down for no apparent reason. Nothing was changed. No new devices were introduced. I didn't change any settings - normally I wouldn't go near the router settings but did so on this occasion because I noticed the drop in speed.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

AL

emalf

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 04:16:07 PM »

I just watched the video posted by kitz (Kitz Forum > Internet > Technology>Broadband Max video) and it mentioned that alarms connected may degrade the signal... I don't suppose your house alarm is conected through the telephone, is it?

PortyAL

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »

Hi

Traced the problem to a faulty connection in the kitchen. Repaired this and am now up and running again at full speed.

Thanks

AL

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:58 PM »

Cool, thanks for letting us know :) At least it was something definite that you managed to find. Sometimes other people aren't quite so lucky!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »

glad you got it sorted.

Thanks for letting us know :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything