Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Online Meter Reading  (Read 6563 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Online Meter Reading
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »

Hi all,I have just submitted my quarterly meter reading with Scottish Power.When the bill was generated my electricty usage is only £18,this is about a quarter of what it usually is.The reading is correct so what do I do?Is there something wrong with my meter,saying that we turned every electric thing on in the house all at once,ie,emmersion heater,oven tv,lights etc and the wheel just flew round.When we turned them all off it just when round a slow pace.
Am I obliged to let them know my usage seems low or is it up them to see my usage is low and get in touch?

scottiesmum

Re: Online Meter Reading
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:53:09 AM »

Unc,  I'm not sure that you are obliged to let them know; IF the bill is wrong then it will automatically be made right on your next bill.   BUT  if it were me I would either e-mail them or 'phone just to check, at least you'll have peace of mind,  a quarter of normal consumption is quite a lot   :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »

If the reading is correct then I don't see that you have any obligation to bring it to anyone's attention. But I suppose it would be sensible to set aside the extra amount of money just in case there is some basis for them to claim it from you if the meter is found to be faulty.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »

Is it possible on-line to see a history of your payments...........perhaps there is an earlier error which generated an overpayment which is now being corrected ?

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »

I submit my readings on line, the quarter before last I made a hash of it and misread what I had written down (read a 5 as an 8) so my last leccy bill was smaller than normal to account for the adjustment, still seems to cost an arm and a leg though. If you get online bills as I do, you can go back and see the previous bills reading it may give you a clue if the last reading was too high.

Beat me to it TD

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »

Thanks for the replies,I submit the readings every 90 days online,everything is normal and there has never been any errors.Every few months we have a meter reader come and and take the readings,but other that that it is an online account.
We are well in credit with the account as we have a fixed direct debit amount taken every month.
I have done what has been asked of me and the reading has been checked and double checked.
If they sent somone and the there is a fault on the meter,who is responsible and what would happen.

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »

Unc,  does the fact that you are in credit not have something to do with the  £18 amount  .....  ?        Is it their  'year end'  perhaps  ?     

The meter is their property, so they would be responsible for it. 

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »

As far as I am aware it is their equipment and they are responsible for it, only someone authorised can tamper with the main board. I had mine replaced about 10 yrs ago, apparently they have to do this to ensure they are calibrated correctly.

Memo: must type faster, beaten again.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »

UnkyUb, are you being asked to pay £18 or is the bill merely indicating that you have consumed £18s worth of leccy ?

As above, the metre is the property of the leccy co., the consumer merely rents the use of it..............any repair/rectification is down to Scottish Power ( unless Blue has been in there thinking the wires were sausages )

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »

I have sumitted the reading and the bill is then calculated on the reading I have submitted.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »

Possibly the previous reading was wrong, too high, and this is the adjustment to correct that. My mother used to have problems with meter readers getting it wrong, mind hers was high up on the wall in an out building and more often than not a torch was need to read it,

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »

Well just checking my bills for the last 3 years my average daily KWh usage has been between 8 and 12,this quarter it is 2 .
IMO I have submitted an accurate reading as I do every 90 days,my bill is then generated to that reading.What more can I do?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »

I'd just take reading regularly (daily or weekly) and keep a record. Then review them for consistency against earlier readings & bills.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »

Unc.

Although the meter belongs to the supplier, if they discover that it is not registering correctly, they can remove it for testing AND then estimate how long it has been faulty and by how much they have undercharged you. Then they can, by law still charge you for what they estimate you have used.

You situation sound like one of two possibilities.
1. There has been some finger trouble entering the meter readings or they have debited too much from your bank account recently.
2. You have left that cable to the street lamp connected and been using the Councils lecky from dusk to dawn.

dave

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

Unc, instead of maithering   (good Lancashire word there)  about what everyone thinks is/should be happening,  I would just give Scottish Power a quick call and then you can sit  back, relax, have a coffee, give Blue another sausage, and put another light on !! ;) ;D
Pages: [1] 2