Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TL-WR641G TP link router  (Read 4985 times)

Kroney

• Just arrived
TL-WR641G TP link router
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »

I just got one of those routers and I`m having difficulty in setting it up with my connection to Talk Talk, I know I know not talk talk again. Fortunately I seem to connect effortlessly to talk talk using their crappy usb modems, but I want to connect my router up and share it with my constituents in the apartment.
It doesn`t seem to be as difficult as it looks, though when I try to connect it just hangs in the air and doesn`t go through. If there is anyone that can help me with something I don`t know,or someone who has the same setup help me out please.  ;D

Thanks Bart

Kroney

• Just arrived
Re: TL-WR641G TP link router
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »

Another question I have is,if I do finally configure the router to connect to talk talk, does it have to be connected to a pc, or can it work stand alone, without the ethernet, just wirelessly?? :-[

I`m quite a noob at this, as this is my first router.
So please be gentle.

;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »

Hi Kroney, welcome to the forum.

I hate to say this, but as far as I can see you've bought the wrong type of router. What you need is an ADSL router, which has an ADSL modem and router in the same box. What you have is just a router, with no modem.

There are two options; either get an ethernet-connected ADSL modem (quite difficult to find, but they do exist) and connect it between the telephone line and your router, or (much easier) abandon the WR641G and get an ADSL router to replace it.

I would definitely recommend the second option, and you may be able to sell the router to someone else. Models to consider would include the Netgear DG834G and the Speedtouch ST585.

As to your second question: yes, after configuring the ADSL router you can disconnect it from the PC and use it wirelessly. But it's generally best to use a direct ethernet connection when you are doing any configuration in the router.

Eric
  Eric

Kroney

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Roseway, I wouldn`t have come to that, I would`ve chucked it out the window sooner, hehe. Very Much appreciated.
Regards
Bart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »

Glad to see you're still smiling. :)

Eric
  Eric