Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My stats - are they any good???  (Read 7714 times)

atce

My stats - are they any good???
« on: January 15, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »

Hi guys, these are the stats from my Belkin F5S7632uk4 router.

Statistics                 Downstream      Upstream
Line Rate                  2272 Kbps       288 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate    6528 Kbps        1272 Kbps
Noise Margin               15.8 dB               30.0 dB
Line Attenuation      29.0 dB              23.5 dB
Output Power             10.6 dBm           18.9 dBm

Am currently with Orange 2 Meg fixed but have asked to move to their ADSL MAX service.

Do you think I will get a decent speed from those stats? My concern is the rather low SNR figure, could this be because my downstream power seems to be around half of what others report. In fact mine seem to be reversed! Tried another router and this too gave the same result.  Is this going to be a problem ?  I'm approx 1.7km as the crow flies from the exchange.

Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: My stats - are they any good???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »

hmmm  your router is reporting that you should get upto 6.5Mb...  but like you quite rightly have already observed, your SNRMargin is a tad lower than I would expect on a 29dB att/ 2km  line.

Based on those stats overall - realistically you are looking at throughput speeds more in the region of around 3.5Mb.

Increasing your SNRMargin is the best chance of you getting higher speeds than this.
Tips for increasing your SNR Margin
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

atce

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »

Thanks for the info Kitz. 

I have recently done some checks such as plugging the router directly into the test socket on the BT master box. The SNR did improve a little but only by around a couple of db's. I did however notice that if I disconnect from the line and then reconnect, the SNR increases to 21db but then over a period of a day or so, drops back to around 16db. Is this normal?

The stats in my initial post were taken with the router at the end of a 20m extension that I have recently re-wired using BT approved twisted pair cable, with only 2 and 5 connected both ends, this being the only extension in the house. I was considering fitting a filtered faceplate to the BT NTE-5 telephone socket but don't really want to relocate the router if at all possible which I assume I would have to in order to get the most benefit from it?

I also wondered, because my measured download output power was so low, it might cause the poor SNR figure; could it be that the exchange is not sending me the correct level to line and hence the ADSL signal is not strong enough to overcome any noise (BTW checking using BT 17070 seems to give a perfectly quiet line IMO)

Any further ideas/suggestions would be most welcome!  :)

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:49:32 PM by atce »

atce

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »

Looks like ADSL MAX has now started, here's my latest stats:

Statistics                             Downstream   Upstream
Line Rate                               6208 Kbps   448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                 6784 Kbps   1220 Kbps
Noise Margin                             6.6 dB   24.0 dB
Line Attenuation                   28.5 dB   23.5 dB
Output Power                          12.2 dBm   19.4 dBm

Speedtests currently show downloads at around 4.5meg so am pleased so far.  Hope things don't get worse during the 10 day period

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:35:54 PM »

Hi

Its quite normal for SNR Margin to fluctuate during the day - normally it decreases in the evenings... 
A decrease over a period of days then back up again after a re-connect is a bit more unusual and could be router/firmware related...  although because of just how variable SNR can be its often quite hard to say.

If you get a better SNR Margin from the test socket then that is indication that you would benefit from and adsl NTE5 faceplate.  Like you say the downside is location of the router near the master socket.  However if you wish to re-locate elsewhere then that means another cable.  This should still in theory be better than running on a normal phone extension cable since the 2 signals are separated at point of entry in to the home and you can also buy better quality cable for the adsl connection.  Theres a couple of the regs on these forums that I believe have done so, so they may well chip in on their own experiences.

------------

Looking at those stats your output power has actually increased a little...  (mine also did when I got maxed, but not everyones does.
I and someone else have wondered in the past if some routers are "lazy" until pushed to the limit.
Those stats looks pretty good and much better than most max estimators would have given based on your prev line stats.  Even Saffy's which is what I consider gives the best guesstimate normally comes out with a throughput of about 3.5Mb.

I notice those were morning results and you will have to see what happens over the next few days and how much your SNR Margin fluctuates - particularly in the evenings when its more likely to be affected.
But otherwise things are looking pretty good. :)

If it stays around about where it is... then your maximum throughput is going to be around 5Mb.
At 6208 kbps you are right on the borderline..  if you can give yourself a higher SNR Margin then the next stage is 6240 kbps which will give you a maximum 5.5Mb throughput.
But at least where it is now you have a bit of room for fluctuations since your sync speed could drop down to 5696 kbps without any changes being made to your bRAS.

I think if I were you I would observe what happens over the next 3-4 days and see how stable your sync rate is.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:37:32 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

atce

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

A quick update since being on Orange Max service.  I have changed router from the Belkin to a Speedtouch 585 so as to be able to use the DMT tool if needed (so far haven't used it). Strange that the Belkin seems to have been giving incorrect stats as shown highlighted; same results when I substituted a friend's identical Belkin.

Belkin F5D7632uk4

Statistics                                Downstream   Upstream

Line Rate                                 6208 Kbps     448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                6784 Kbps     1220 Kbps
Noise Margin                            6.6 dB           24.0 dB
Line Attenuation                      28.5 dB         23.5 dB
Output Power                          12.2 dBm      19.4 dBm

Speedtouch 585i v6

Statistics                                 Downstream   Upstream
Line Rate                                 6464 Kbps      448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                7026 Kbps      1210 Kbps
Noise Margin                            6.0 dB             24.0 dB
Line Attenuation                      42.0 dB           23.5 dB
Output Power                          19.5 dBm        11.5 dBm

Must admit I was worried when I saw the DS attn was being reported as 42db but my best download speed has been around 5 Megs which I am very pleased with. My only concern is that as expected overnight my SNR margin sometimes drops to around 3.5db, but so far the Speedtouch has not resynced so seems able to cope with quite a low level. :)

BTW, got the 585i from DSL Depot for ?30 all in; says B graded stock but seemed brand new and is presently working a treat! ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »

The jump in attn is weird, but its not unknown that some routers do report different figures.

My old SAR used to report my attenuation as 21.5 dB until I updated the firmware.
(I'm now at 7dB which considering I can look out of my window and see the exchange I would say is more correct).

It may be worthwhile seeing if there is any more recent firmware..  or if you can borrow a router from a friend with another type of router for a couple of hours sometime just to check what that gives you.

However since things seem stable and the router is hanging on quite well..
 and since you are getting around 5Mb throughput now (your IP profile should be 5500)
- it may be best to say...  ok its working good....  and if it aint broke then dont fix it :)
-----

atce

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 04:29:46 AM »

Kitz

You are right, best not to fiddle whilst it's working well .  Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.

Oh, and BTW, why are men like a pack of cards?  I still can't work it out (no doubt it's obvious)!

EDIT >> just seen you've removed it!!!

Graham
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:32:45 AM by atce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:06:24 AM »

>> Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.

YW - hopefully now that bit of extra sync speed pushes you up a notch on the IP profile :)

>>  BTW, why are men like a pack of cards?

I was on a bit of a downer with men in general (don't ask)  :-X
.. anyhow "men are like a pack of cards".
Funny that the 4th one refers back here .

>> EDIT >> just seen you've removed it!!!

lol that was ironic that I changed it before I'd even seen your post.
Doesnt mean that all is forgiven with certain persons though   >:(

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:10:14 AM by kitz »
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »

Funny that the 4th one refers back here

:)
Google's doing its job then :) Nothing you say on the 'net is secret, is it?

Eric
  Eric

atce

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »

Thought it was too good to be true! Having had a stable line for 8 days my connection reset 11 times overnight and my current stats are as below;

Statistics                                 Downstream   Upstream
Line Rate                                 4576 Kbps       320 Kbps
Noise Margin                           13.0db              6.0 dB
Line Attenuation                      42.0 dB           23.5 dB
Output Power                          19.0 dBm        11.0 dBm

My first thought was that the promised snow had arrived early but just looked outside and the suns shining, no snow (yet)
Can't understand why my US SNR has dropped from 24db to 6db though, a little worrying  :(

One bit of good news ...the BT Speedtester seems to be working again but shows my profile has dropped from 5500 to 4000kbps, with a throughput of 3700kbps

Has anyone experienced such a big change in their US SNR figure ..seems such a large drop.

Thanks

Graham

EDIT >>  I just rebooted the router  .....seems it must have got itself a bit confused overnight as my US SNR has now gone back up to 23db with US rate of 448 kbps and the DS sync is now showing as 5024 kbps. DS SNR now at 11.5db.  Should I perhaps lower the SNR margin with the DMT tool or will the exchange DSLAM do that for me over time??

Just happy things are nearly back to as was  ;D

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:02:17 AM by atce »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

I've had similar experiences, where something causes the router to resync several times and it ends up with a low upstream margin. Rebooting does usually fix it.

Eric
  Eric

anything