Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Noisy line when using BB  (Read 22485 times)

SiDUDe

Re: Noisy line when using BB
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »

ok - sorry. Maybe i hadnt made myself clear enough. The speeds change a lot, from a max of about 5, down to what were getting this weekend.

We changed router to DG834G as we thought we might have a defective bebox. Some stats

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    931 kbps    447 kbps
Line Attenuation    35.5 db    18.2 db
Noise Margin    9.4 db    8.1 db

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »

You should go back to the BeBox now as you're also getting the slowness on Netgear so have proved an important point.
The BeBox gives more detailed stats and is of course supported by Be so you need to be using that to get the problem resolved.
Post the BeBox stats from the BT Test Socket please.

The graphs suggest massive external interference, possibly REIN.
That's not usually down to either Be or BT so you may have a very difficult problem.  :(

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »

By the way I notice that your Be Forum thread has been quiet (ignoring the irrelevant comments from others) since early October. Is there still a Ticket open at Be?

SiDUDe

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »

yeah there is, its going nowhere though, they want us to contact BT
the latest be response

Thank you fro your patience.

Our senior colleagues have run 24 hour monitoring and analysis on your line.
They have updated me that although some tones on the frequency range are blocked (either by the distance or imperfections on the cable) there is no quiet line noise.

We do not detect any backgroung noise on the line.
We will now try to increase the signal-to-noise ratio in order to boost the signal, but in the mean time I was advised to ask you to contact BT and ask them to check your line as we can not provide support for your voice service.

Please have them run checks and update us with the situation.

Kind regards, Be*Team

Ok, were back on the bebox now

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 0:03:28
DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   632 / 2,458
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   18.0 / 33.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.5 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   20 / 40
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   20 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   34,092 / 0
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:14:42 PM by SiDUDe »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

The first set of results posted in this thread indicated something like a massive noise problem, - the SNR is way too low for the attenuation. 

If that line was good it should be syncing in the region of around 13Mb.  I noted that he said Be had increased the Target SNR, so this is going to knock off a couple of Mb.

Low SNR is usually due to internal wiring which is why I wanted to check out the wiring set up and make sure that all is well.
Which from the photos it appears to be ok.

Routerstats is showing large fluctuations typical of 'background type' noise.  I wanted to see if routerstats continued to show anything else, such as a massive increase in the SNRM during the monitoring period which would indicate a type of 'on/off' REIN fault, or if it was consistant. 

In the last set of graphs provided this am, a couple of the spikes do look like there could have been a change in sync speed, these have now been ruled out.

That is certainly one very noisy line.. and its looking very much like REIN.  Monitoring over a longer period could be useful to see if its the type which only occurs in the Eves and w/es or if consistant through weekdays too when no-one is in the home and heating lighting etc isnt on.

For the benefit of those that cant read one thing in the Be forum that is very strange its this

I have tried plugging it into the master socket, as well as doing a 17070 quiet line test (and this is where it gets interesting!) the line seems fairly quiet when the BeBox is NOT plugged in, but when it is connecting you seem to be able to hear the modem 'dialing up', and once connected the line is really noisy, and you can hear large amounts of hiss and crackles.

Can I just check this is still the case, and that the line is quiet when the router isnt plugged in.

I'd also like if possible to see the beBox stats - I know Sidude said he put the other router on to rule out possible router problems, but I'd be interested in seeing a set of stats with the TX and RX power figures, which it displays as "Output Power".

Ezzer isn't normall around much at the weekend, but if he sees this on Monday I'd appreciate if he gives his eagle eyes a scan over your wiring boxes again just to check all looks good with him too.

------------

Edit I was on the phone since I started making this post, and notice since I come back you've added to the thread with the Bebox stats, which look perfectly fine.  Output power is normal range.
Those stats look better, but will they hold?  Can you continue monitoring on routerstats, with the bebox to see if those SNR fluctuations continue.

I'm stumped - most likely massive REIN fault.
or possible Faulty line card at the exchange?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

SiDUDe

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

thanks for the help! yeah the line is quite quiet when the BB is off (there is a quiet crackling, but its hardly noticable) When you plug the router in, you can very definitely hear it. Its almost like hearing an old 56k modem dial up, some whistles and a lot of hiss.

Any help on setting up RS with the bebox would be great - what should I map the rx/tx noise to?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 02:05:13 PM »

thanks for the help! yeah the line is quite quiet when the BB is off (there is a quiet crackling, but its hardly noticable) When you plug the router in, you can very definitely hear it. Its almost like hearing an old 56k modem dial up, some whistles and a lot of hiss.

Any help on setting up RS with the bebox would be great - what should I map the rx/tx noise to?

Any crackling on the line will have serious side effects to your broadband.

The crackling on your line is most likely what is causing the issues you are having. You say you can hear it more when the router is connected, so I am unsure who you would have to report this to.

Could Kitz or HP confirm?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »

I think it would be useful to also "resurrect" the thread on the Be Forums.
Explain what's been done and post the stats from the Netgear (which exact model & version is it by the way?) and Be Box and summarise ALL the CURRENT symptoms.
There's a newish guy on there (stuartbe IIRC) who works for BT Openreach as a Broadband Engineer who may be able to offer further advice on how to progress.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »

when the BB is off (there is a quiet crackling, but its hardly noticable)
Have you done the formal Quiet Line Test recently with a basic unpowered phone from the Test Socket?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »

Routerstats lite should work 'out of the box' with the bebox.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

SiDUDe

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 02:24:18 PM »

yeah, we went and got a £2 analogue phone from argos to test it. The crackling is hardly noticable, it certainly wouldnt bother you on voice calls. Whereas its impossible to make voice calls when the BB is on. The netgear is a DG834G V4.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »

Just to rule a couple of things out. (I'm clutching at straws here for you)

When the router is connected is the PC on - can you try turning the monitor off / unplugging it and let routerstats continue to record.   Monitors can be a source of interference for adsl.
You could also try a quiet line test with the router still plugged in and the PC off...  also check other electrical stuff near the router.. is there anything nearby that the router could be picking up REIN from when its switched on?  TVs and skyboxes have also been culprits in the past.
-----

SiDUDe

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »

The router is at the bottom of the stairs - the computer is upstairs in my room, the television again is quite far away. The router is sitting next to an outside wall, which, on the first floor (1 floor above where it is) is a box marked TV and Radio equipement - do not open or something like that. Its connected to a load of sky dishes and aerials on the side of the flat. Again, its a good couple of meters away because its on a different floor, but could this affect it?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »

yeah, we went and got a £2 analogue phone from argos to test it.
Always useful in a power cut too.  :P

The proper Quiet Line Test is: dial 17070, choose option 2 and listen. It should be totally silent (apart from the BT voice occasionally).

SiDUDe

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:06 PM »

ok, if it should be absolutley quite its not. Its actually worse than I remember it before, there is definate crackling without router atatched. Still significantly worse than when it is. Could the tv box a couple of meters away be affecting it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything