Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Noisy line when using BB  (Read 22481 times)

SiDUDe

Noisy line when using BB
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »

Hello!

We have been having problems with our internet from Be for sometime now, we keep being pushed from BT to Be and vice versa. Basically we get very poor speeds, cutouts and noise on the phoneline when the broadband equipment is on. We have tried several filters, bought a new router (Be refused to replace their one) and are obv plugged into the master socket. The noise cannot be heard by the person on the other end of the line. Be's response is to increase the SNR, but this has had no effect. Tonight we are connecting around 100-400kbps, we should be getting 20-24mbps...

I had raised a fault with BT online, and apperently an engineer came round. I wasnt in, the builder was but the engineer rang my mobile and said there was not problem with the line and to raise a fault with Be, which I already had done. When I checked online with BT, they said they had fixed a completly different fault to the one that I had raised with them. Most peculiar. Anyway, I am getting to the end of my tether. We have bought a new faceplate and this should be delivered monday, but I am at a loss as to what to do otherwise.

I am also and Electrical Engineering Undergrad, and am really enjoying the comms courses were doing, so would be interested if anyone could explain how this noise could get onto the line so that only we could hear it, and not the person on the other end. Maybe im just being stupid, but I can figure out how if audible frequencies are present at our phone, how they are not transmitted to the other end.

Many thanks for any light you could shed on the situation

Simon

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    462 kbps    463 kbps
Line Attenuation    33.0 db    16.7 db
Noise Margin    14.3 db    11.9 db

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Noisy line when using BB
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »

Have you sought any advice on the Be forums?

SiDUDe

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »

yeah, they havent been very helpful and keep suggesting we put in a filter, or tell us to raise a ticket

dizzy4528

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »

What is the situation concerning the router stats with just the modem/router plugged into the test point, with no
telephone or extra circuitry connected.

SiDUDe

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »

here are the stats modem-->filter-->test socket

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    112 kbps    364 kbps
Line Attenuation    36.5 db    18.4 db
Noise Margin    14.6 db    11.2 db

dizzy4528

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »

What about any error logs from the router. Do they give any pointer to why the sync speed is so low .
Your attenuation is very good ,but the noise margin suggests a fault somewhere due to it been up and around the 15 db mark

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

yeah, they havent been very helpful and keep suggesting we put in a filter, or tell us to raise a ticket
I'm surprised, there's a lot of help there from Be Users.  :o

Are you prepared to say what ID you used on the Be Forum and I'll have a look myself.

SiDUDe

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »

I cant see anything obvious on the router, but tbh im not really sure what im looking for. Its a GD834G.

Of course you can have a look on the be forums. Its sfxdude, my flatmate who has the account with them, I have the account with BT. Thats partly the reason why its taking so long.
https://www.bethere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21876

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »

I notice you say youve ordered a new faceplate which is due Monday..   before you fit it so it may be worthwhile checking around your home and looking at where the wiring comes into the premises from BT.   It may be that the wiring goes straight into the back of the NTe5, but if it doesnt, just check the condition of the wiring before the box to ensure its not damaged, cracked etc.

Secondly is there any extensions at all that run from the nte5, check to see if theres any additional boxes around the home. 
If you want you can unscrew the nte5 faceplat and post a pic of the master socket to see if we can see anything obvious in there.

The noise only when the router is attached has got me..  thats normally an indication of a faulty filter, but you say youve already tried other ones.

Does your SNRMargin fluctuate during the course of the day - it may be worth grabbing a copy of routerstats and letting it record whats happening to see if that can show anything unusual
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

SiDUDe

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 09:38:14 PM »

ok, thanks for the quick replies guys!

Im installing routerstats now.

I have some piccies, you can see behind the faceplate to the actual wiring, then the cable goes to a white box that is painted so I cant open it. It then goes outside and up over our door to the black box you can see. Its dark so I cant check properly, but i cant see any cracked cable etc

[attachment deleted by admin]

dizzy4528

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »

Hi it dos'nt make it clear from your opening post whether you have
 only connected at the lower speed ,or did you connect at your expected
20-24Mbs at first.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »

The wiring in the nte5 looks ok.... BUT... oooh is that a NTE5 elite that I spot there?
Its a shame you cant get inside the old style block connector to have a peep.

I'm going to pass this one over to Ezzer,  who is our 'resident BT engineer' in the hope that he sees it and if he's got any comments to make about the Elite.

--- edit

Re the elite

I think it may have been the angle of the pic that made me think the backbox is thinner than the middle bit.
On 2nd viewing of the 1st pic I dont think it is :/  Sorry.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:23:31 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »

They're only connected at about 4mbps but should be at about 13 or 14!  :'(

You can only see the Be Forum (which has loads more info) if you're a Be user like Kitz & I.

OK. Here's some blunt advice. This is going to be difficult to sort out; there's obviously something seriously wrong but it will take time and a lot of patience to get to the bottom of it.
The Be staff will go round their standard processes again and again. Each time something is changed or fixed they start all over. Don't get annoyed about that, just do it as it IS necessary.

Having 2 people involved, one for Be and one for BT will make it trickier - so more patience will be needed.

SiDUDe

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:02:10 PM »

yeah, we never get connected at anything more than about 5. If you want I could try a little harder to get into that other box, it shouldnt be too difficult....

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:50:03 PM »

I could try a little harder to get into that other box,
It's BT's, so I wouldn't mess with it, but a picture might be useful.

Which box exactly - hope it's not another RF2! (in joke for Kitz).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6