Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Outlook Express Newsgroup Searching  (Read 4601 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Outlook Express Newsgroup Searching
« on: November 28, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »

When looking for new newsgroups to browse for Debian or Sailing or anything else that takes my fancy, I am always annoyed that the search facility in OE doesn't remember the search term you put in if you want to continue searching after going to a found newsgroup and deciding it's not what you want. (I hope that convoluted sentence makes sense) I have googled around and even looked at the registry for a key which might do the trick but no joy. Has anyone found a way round this or is it a facility provided in another newsreader like Thunderbird perhaps?
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Outlook Express Newsgroup Searching
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »

I'm not sure on this since its a lonnnng time since Ive used newsgroups, but does F3 work.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:27:11 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Kitz but, no, F3 doesn't seem to do the trick. Whilst walking the dog this morning I was composing a plaintiff further posting after the deafening silence that greeted my starting this thread. Thanks for breaking the silence, Kitz. It seems I am a very sad person to have an interest in Newsgroups but there is the occasional nugget in all the dross and nasties. I make great use of the "humour" groups to fill up my retirement association newsletter. An example from alt.humor.jewish ---A car hit an elderly Jewish man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable?” The man says, "I make a good living." I hope someone else found that funny as well otherwise I'll have to retire to the naughty corner!
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »

Sorry I couldnt help more.

Forums seem to have gained in popularity whilst newsgroups have declined a tad... but theres still some very active and informative newsgroups out there.

F3 seems to work for searching through mails in OE, wasnt sure if it did or not with the news section, but thought I'd mention it so you could at least try.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »

I've used usenet since 1992 or so but I've never used Outlook - in fact Outlook broke so many usenet posting rules when it came out that everyone I knew just killfiled Outlook users as they were (back then) invariably a waste of bandwidth  ;D

I use Agent (www.forteinc.com) for text groups and Newsleecher for binary groups now. Both cost money but my copy of Agent is 10 years old (still works on all versions of Windows post-95) so I guess it was worth it. I doubt I'd recommend it now as frankly Forte aren't what they used to be. I'd rather chew nails than use Outlook for anything though :P

That's why I didn't initially respond to your query ;)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »

Yes I use F3 in email searching but unfortunately it doesn't seem to do the trick in Newsgroup searches. Never mind it's not a disaster to have to keep putting in the search parameter, just niggling. Thanks both for the responses. I'll just have to live with it.
Tony

anything