News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wine  (Read 9483 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Wine
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 09:15:01 AM »

On the back label of some bottles (especially Victoria Wines shops) there may be a number form 1 to 5.
No 1 being a "very sweet" wine and No 5 being the driest wine there is.

No1 bone dry..........to............No 9 very sweet.This for white wines.( a Sauternes will be No8 or 9 )

For reds I think it is letters A light and fruity to E full bodied,someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »

That's quirky ...  I've NEVER seen wines rated by numbers or letters  !   :shrug2:   are they New World varieties ?      Just one interesting (or not depending on whether any one IS interested)  the  health advantages of red wine  only exists in the Old World wines, as the New World ones have so many additives they have a detrimental effect  ......   including the taste sometimes IMO  >:D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »

No1 bone dry..........to............No 9 very sweet.This for white wines.( a Sauternes will be No8 or 9 )

For reds I think it is letters A light and fruity to E full bodied,someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  :)
Thanks for the correction. UB.
Just that it's been a long time since buying wine these days. (I forgot :-[)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »

That's quirky ...  I've NEVER seen wines rated by numbers or letters

Kate,
Yates Wine Lodges used to do it for years on their wine lists. Not been in recently so don't know if they still do.

dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »

Kate,all British supermarkets use the numbers and letters system.Remember this is not France and us peasants are not as educated as 'Le Frogs' when it comes to 'Le Glug'.  :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »

and us peasants

Unc,  do you mean "Les Rost Beoufs"      :lol:

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »

This bottle (it had better come tomorrow) is proving to be expensive. Made one of my rare trips in town because our local hardware store is having sale and they had a bottle opener advertised for £4.99, sold out of course so had to get the next one up which cost £7.99 reduced from £14.99. Then I spotted something I tried twice to buy on line in the summer but failed miserably as it kept going out of stock, what is it you ask, its a 6 gang switched extension with surge protection, (how sad am I) for £11.99. I have a four gang with each socket switched which the lappy is on and the digital radio, and a small lamp and the cooling pad for the lappy, which is very useful as the socket where its plugged in is behind some furniture and not easy to get to. Also bought my self a new washing line as the other is starting to look a bit frayed, I've never replaced it all the 20yrs I've been here and its actually made out of rope. Treated the birds to some suet bits as well. Was only in town a couple of hours, never made it to any other shops.

Its like an Aladdins cave the store, chaotic, badly laid out, but an institution, its one of those where you can buy single wheels for your shopping trolley or baby buggy, or rubber feet for step stools, I always manage to lose one of those, spare parts for things you didn't know existed. I'm like a kid in Santas Grotto when I go in. ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 08:47:04 AM »

I think that says it all.............first thing on Yorkie's shopping list ?

A bottle opener !  :-X

:lol:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »

He'll probably die of thirst at this rate before he gets the bottle open.

This is the proper way of opening a bottle:-
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:00:41 AM by oldfogy »

scottiesmum

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »

OF    you obviously open your Champagne in the French tradition !  Sabre !    I've been to several  'do's ' where this has been done, and it is spectacular :congrats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUrK_V9XBeA&feature=related

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

I've been to several  'do's ' where this has been done, and it is spectacular :congrats:

But of course, providing you don't use too a sharp a Sabre, or else the cork cuts.
Actually I still have some bottles left over from when we had the Birmingham street racing "from the hospitality suite"
(Probably gone off by now).

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »

At the risk of being excommunicated by the French and to never set foot on their shores ever, dare I say I will have to buy some lemonade to sweeten aforementioned wine.

I think it is true to say I have no palate for alcohol and shall have to go into my dotage sober. :(

scottiesmum

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »

:o :o :o    goodness Yorkie   ...   I find Monbazillac as sweet as honey !!!  (too sweet really for me)   and it's renowned as a SWEET dessert wine  .....   lemonade  :o  Mon Dieu !!    :-X

Well, perhaps a glass of sweet sherry might suit you better  OR    ......  you said you liked Martini Bianco  ... have you tried White Port with Tonic .... I hesitate to recommend it  :D   but  I find it like a Bianco !!   

failing that   .....   perhaps you could take up another vice   :lol:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »

No comment..............

scottiesmum

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »

that is a comment !
Pages: 1 [2] 3