Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The End of an Era  (Read 2949 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
The End of an Era
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »

Woolies have finally called it a day

http://tinyurl.com/6gzp3n

I think this is very sad, especially at this time of year for all the staff.

Also looks as if MFI are going the same way as well.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »

That is sad. All my life, Woolies has been almost like an old friend. Not dramatic or aggressive, but always there. :(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »

A sad day,a lot of us have grown with 'Woolies' on the high street.  :(

Lets hope the company can be taken over and jobs saved.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 08:19:27 AM »

Yes it is sad, sad for any company going into administration and more so at this time of year for the employees.  Must admist Woollies had changed from how it used to be and I didn't like it at all now (well our local one anyway).... but hope they can do something and at least keep the name if it's taken over.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »

Yes I am sad at its troubles,  however it is not the store I used to frequent in the late 50's early 60's to spend my pocket money  :'( Our local store is quite busy and I gather that many of their smaller stores are in fact profitable. I hope ours survives because since our local council decided on a new 'town centre' for Ramsgate Broadstairs and Margate called Westwood Cross our town centres have been dying, if our Woolies goes it will be another nail in the old high street coffin.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »

Yes I am sad at its troubles,  however it is not the store I used to frequent in the late 50's early 60's to spend my pocket money  :'( Our local store is quite busy and I gather that many of their smaller stores are in fact profitable. I hope ours survives because since our local council decided on a new 'town centre' for Ramsgate Broadstairs and Margate called Westwood Cross our town centres have been dying, if our Woolies goes it will be another nail in the old high street coffin.
Most town and city centres are dying out.Since The Meadowhall Centre was built on the outskirts of Sheffield in the earl 1990's Sheffield city centre is a shadow of its former self.When you go into the city centre you have a nightmare parking,then you have to walk about in the cold weather,where as big shopping malls have plenty of free parking and its all undercover and more compact,thats progress I guess.........

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »

Yes, a pity about Woolies, but they had got themselves stuck in a bit of a time warp and had carried on as they had done in the "good old days".
They have been undone recently with the plethora of pound shops springing up all over the place........a sign in itself of the gradual decline of the town centre......look for a High street with lots of pound shops and you see a dead High street.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

Remember the big showbiz extraveganza type christmas ads they used to do every year in the seventies fronted by Leslie Crowther. They always used part of the luton arndale centre as it lead itself as an excellent under cover venue for the cameras to film the circus like ending. probably the only time luton looked good since the 19th century.

Used to go there for some pick & mix, or a Welcom chocolate bar and perhaps bump into my aunt who worked there. Pete Murray once turned up with a que of women taking turns in taking his trousers off (no idea why ?)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »

Pete Murray once turned up with a que of women taking turns in taking his trousers off (no idea why ?)

:lol: :lol: The mind boggles  ;)
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

There may be a ray of hope yet: http://tinyurl.com/5ozm2k

I honestly think Woolies lost the plot about 15-20 years ago when they stopped selling just about *everything you could think of, and instead concentrated on things like kids stuff, music&video, housewares, and pic 'n' mix.

Will be sad to see them go

*remember the time when they'd more or less be a regular port of call when in town doing general shopping?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »

Too late for us, they closed ours last January, been in the City since 1924. As TD says they were on virtually every high street and were always a port of call along with British Home Stores. I found them useful, where else could you go (not counting the big supermarkets) and buy some shoe polish and a pyrex casserole dish at the same time. I hope a rescue does come, but it would be a brave person to take on all that debt at the moment.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:07:08 AM »

Very sad

I admit I quite like Woolies - as you can normally get what youre looking for.  Even in our smallish branch they seem to stock stuff that you have a job finding elsewhere these days without paying the earth for.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker