Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: router advice please  (Read 6747 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: router advice please
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »

I recently bought a Sky locked DG834GT and have managed to install the standard Netgear firmware on it making it generally useable. Two hiccups I thought worth reporting.

As in the case of the Speedtouch router that I had to play with earlier the recommended technique of holding the reset button in until the two LEDs flash green to yellow alternately may not be enough time. Initially this didn't work for me and I extended the time to about 30secs after the LEDs start flashing. I also did a 30 sec hold in whilst the power was off too as recommended by someone else on this forum. Not sure of the benefit of this last but those actions seemed to make the router accessible by the Netgear software.

The other hiccup has been mentioned elsewhere on another forum I think that some NIC drivers confuse the Netgear software. On my main PC which has a motherboard with built in Ethernet it wouldn't progress to finding the MAC address. I used my old laptop with a pcmcia Ethernet adaptor and bobs yer uncle!

Tony

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »

Hi

Well I have ordered a DG834G v4 (splashing out ) I will be setting up on my new PC . This machine is beginning to give me problems with shutting down and starting up.That's another story.So if you want you can close this post .
Thanks for everyone's contributions  :).
I have just seen that there is new firmware available for DG834G xx. (more fun and games !!)
Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »

>> I have just seen that there is new firmware available for DG834G xx. (more fun and games !!)

The DGTeam firmware has gained a good reputation on the DG834GT. I use it myself, and I've just upgraded it to the latest version which looks to be very good. I can't speak for the DG834G version, but if I were using that router I would certainly give it a go.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »

Hi
Will do as soon as I get my router (might need some help ) ;)
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »

>> On my main PC which has a motherboard with built in Ethernet it wouldn't progress to finding the MAC address.

Just out of curiosity, was that a Vista PC?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »

No, Kitz, it was on XP Pro on a Winfast motherboard supplied by Novatech, type 6150M2MA with AMD 4600+ CPU and has a Phoenix bios.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »

Thanks - was just checking since a lot of people have problems upgrading from a Vista PC.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 10:53:12 AM »

Hi
 I have received my DG834G v4 . I am in process of setting it up . Reading the set up procedure (from digidave ) step 10  "input details of your broadband account " .Looks as if there is some ip addresses required . Is there any way I can get that without having to go through the torture of Tiscali help line ??. :(.Aat the moment I am using st330 and I don't think this info is available as it is a dialup connection .
DestinationAddress= PVC:0/38

regards Jeff

zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »

All you should normally have to enter is your Tiscali username and password. The only IP addresses which I can think of are the DNS addresses, and you would normally leave these set to automatic, so you don't have to enter them manually. The other basic settings are usually detected automatically by the router.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 05:47:20 PM »

Hi

Thanks for your reply its just that on the instruction page it seems to require some IP addresses? please see attached

regards Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »

Use automatic for IP and DNS unless you are on a fixed IP and your ISP has given you the numbers.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »

Ok thanks for that  ;D
zen user
Pages: 1 [2]