Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: router advice please  (Read 6746 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
router advice please
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »

Hi
I am in the market for a router . I was thinking of  a dg834g  or dg834gt . apart from the . As I understand it the GT is the wireless version . Can both of them provide the same stats information and able the SNR to be tweaked ?.If I go for the wireless version I will also need a wireless adapter , any recommendations which one is best ,more importantly any that I should keep clear of . How complicated is the setting up procedure . Any help would be gratly appreciated . I am using an st330 . over the past 2 o3 weeks my target snr has gone up to 15 ,my profile has gone down from a best of 6Mbps to 3.5 Mbps. I need to try and see whats going on.
Thanks for your help.
Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: router advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »

Both are wireless and tweakable.
There are multiple version of the 834G so I'd go for the 834GT for simplicity.
What ISP are you on? The GT and Gv4 are better on Be/O2 ADSL2+

dizzy4528

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »

It may be wise ,before buying a new router ,investigating why your SNR margin has been increased.
Or have you already done that ?.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:23:56 PM »

HI
HP I am with tiscali.  :-[
 Dizzy .The problem is that using the st330 modem there is no way to record and graph snr etc . you can only see what it is at a given time ,doing repeated tests indicates trends but cannot pick up instances . :(  .
Jeff
zen user

dizzy4528

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »

Ah! see what you mean. I use a Netgear dg834 GT ,with the DGTeam firmware and have managed to get just short of 2 meg on a very long line(63.5 db) after the
initial 10 day training period went horribly wrong when my telephone cable snapped in two.
I managed to push a 15db line to 9db easily and could probably get to 6db with a little instability thrown in , with the increased speed.
So i can recommend the Netgear :thumbs:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »

The GT version does seem to be the favourite, however if you can get a Gv4 then that should also perform well, since they use the same chipset.

The major difference between the GT and Gv4 is the wireless technology is better on the GT (108Mbps v 54Mbps) as it uses Super G technology.

The Netgears have a nice easy to use interface and are ideal for a first timer to set up a wireless network.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »

Thanks for that I will have a look round for gv4  if not then gt it will be what about the wireless adapter any advice?
I take it I need one ?
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »

Wireless routers work wired too. You just need a LAN cable. ;)

Do YOU need wired? If so what sort of computer is it - laptop/desktop make/model?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

In the case of wireless adaptors if ones needed or will make life easyer for you then it seems the belkin adaptor although it self is ok seems to cause the occasional bit of grief due to its software.

If your fitting one on a pc and you feel ok in opening the case and sotting in a card then an internal fit version is often cheeper than a dongle type and less venerable to being knocked and damaging a usb port. Even if it's plugged in via a usb slot in the back of a tower as what can happen is either the tower is nudged for some reason and the dongle bears up against some thing or a cable is pulled and tugs against the dongle. It's an untypical form of damage but an annoying one. also keeps a usb port free for something else

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

hi

NETGEAR DG834G v4 Wireless ADSL 2+ Router for £44.33  . 
MFR PART CODE : DG834GUK
From "broadband buyer .co.uk" .
 has anyone dealt with them ?
Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 03:19:33 PM »

I havent I'm afraid ...  I normally recommend Amazon, but Im not sure whether they are shipping the v4 or v5.
I just rang up to ask and the woman didnt know which version it was..  so Im not much help :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »

I've bought from broadbandbuyer a couple of times and have had excellent service.

If you want a DG834GT you could try ebay - you can pick up a new Sky branded one for around £20.  It comes with Sky firmware but it's not too difficult to return it to default netgear firmware or even custom firmware such as DGTeam etc.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 04:01:06 PM »

Hi
Quote  It comes with Sky firmware but it's not too difficult to return it to default netgear firmware or even custom firmware such as DGTeam etc.

when you know how  ;D

Jeff :)
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:04 PM »

Eric

jeffbb