Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Cautionary Tale  (Read 1639 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
A Cautionary Tale
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »

For someone in the prime of his second childhood I generally pride myself on being reasonably switched on about things computer and electrical. After a career in electronic maintenance I think I can usually unravel most technical mysteries. However the other evening I was at the PC downloading, surfing and doing all the other things we computery types like to do.

Suddenly there’s a “Beep!” and a short time later another “Beep”. I remembered a year or so ago a similar beeping mystery was solved when I found an cordless phone that had been decommissioned and put away on a shelf whose battery had just run down and was telling the world of its problems. So I spent the next 30 minutes or so crawling around on my knees trying to locate the source of the “Beeps”. Eventually it was time for bed and I closed down the PC and thankfully the “Beeps” stopped, which confirmed they were coming from the computer. I should explain my hearing is not too good these days and I wear a hearing aid, which makes a nonsense of the sound direction finding skills you had in your youth.

In the morning on powering up it was gone and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Later in the day it came to me. You know that useful little program dave.m found that tells you if you’ve hit the Caps Lock key inadvertently?        That produces a beep! It’s a very useful little program and if you are typing in Word or doing something similar you immediately know what caused the beep and I leave it on all the time. This time it was just some letters landing a little heavily on the keyboard (I remembered later) which must have triggered it.

I shall still use it but hopefully I won’t be caught out so easily again.

Tony

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: A Cautionary Tale
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

Easily done, all these things are sent to try us  :)  The times I hear a beep, could be my mobile phone, or summat on the computer... or the smoke alarm battery lol.... I then have to search and find out where it's coming from.  I remember it happening some years ago, thought it was something wrong with the landline...rang BT and asked what was going on (dunno why I thought they might know) then I discovered it was the smoke alarm's battery running out.  Gawd.... what a fool.... glad BT didn't follow it up that time lol.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:31:58 PM »

Thanks for your sympathetic comment, Chrissie. It is very easily done and I am just glad I remembered before I started to take the tower to pieces!
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »

You know that useful little program dave.m found that tells you if you’ve hit the Caps Lock key inadvertently? 

That was exactly the same reason I stopped using it.
Glad you solved the mystery though.

anything