Chat > Chit Chat

ID Cards or laminated poll tax?

(1/3) > >>

dave.m:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7742619.stm

Certainly an eye-opener!

--- Quote ---"The £30 fixed fee for an ID card is likely to rise after 2010"
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---"There will be no penalties, civil or criminal, for not applying for an ID card."
--- End quote ---

Loved these two :
"And people undergoing a sex change will be entitled to two ID cards."  ???  ???

and:
"Homeless people wanting ID cards may be able to give their home address as a bench, bus stop or park where they are often found. "
 :lol:  :lol:

dave

Comments must be no longer than 3,000 words or four pages, and must not contain more than three swear words per sentence! ( because we would have problems editing).

guest:
Of course there won't be any penalties for not applying for an ID card.

However you won't be able to get benefits/pensions, nor will you be able to have a bank account, or a driving license, nor will you be able to leave the country. Its extremely unlikely that you'll be able to have gas or electricity, a phone or anything else that requires you to enter into a contract. All of that is possible without a vote ever taking place in parliament because Neu Liebour have already got the power to do it via enabling acts - eg try and open a bank account without a passport/photo driving license these days, its impossible to do for anyone "normal".

Why bother with penalties when you can make "normal" life without a card impossible?

chrissie:

--- Quote from: rizla on November 22, 2008, 12:23:35 AM ---Of course there won't be any penalties for not applying for an ID card.

However you won't be able to get benefits/pensions, nor will you be able to have a bank account, or a driving license, nor will you be able to leave the country. Its extremely unlikely that you'll be able to have gas or electricity, a phone or anything else that requires you to enter into a contract. All of that is possible without a vote ever taking place in parliament because Neu Liebour have already got the power to do it via enabling acts - eg try and open a bank account without a passport/photo driving license these days, its impossible to do for anyone "normal".

Why bother with penalties when you can make "normal" life without a card impossible?

--- End quote ---

Yep, I agree and what will we do about all this?  Nowt I guess, cos we're British (read English for moi)!

Yorkie:
I belong to that small minority where perhaps an ID card might be useful. I don't have a driving licence and my passport is about ten years out of date.
There again I can't remember the last time (if ever) that I needed to prove who I was.
Its over thirty years since I opened a bank account, but I believe the procedure is not as simple as it used to be because of money laundering laws.

If it was free I might apply for one, but I'm dammed if I'm going to pay for one.

dave.m:
I remember a few years ago when I was a Taxi driver, I went to my bank to cash a cheque for a 'largish' amount and the cashier asked for some picture ID. The only thing I had with a picture was my old, taxi badge which had expired about three weeks earlier. The new one was hanging in the cab.
She was about to accept it then noticed the date and said that she could not accept it as it had expired. I tried to explain that I had not expired and it still proved who I was but she wouldn't have it. Had to keep the queue waiting whilst I went to the car to get my new one.
dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version