Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ID Cards or laminated poll tax?  (Read 4939 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
ID Cards or laminated poll tax?
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7742619.stm

Certainly an eye-opener!

"The £30 fixed fee for an ID card is likely to rise after 2010"

"There will be no penalties, civil or criminal, for not applying for an ID card."

Loved these two :
"And people undergoing a sex change will be entitled to two ID cards."  ???  ???

and:
"Homeless people wanting ID cards may be able to give their home address as a bench, bus stop or park where they are often found. "
 :lol:  :lol:

dave

Comments must be no longer than 3,000 words or four pages, and must not contain more than three swear words per sentence! ( because we would have problems editing).

Re: ID Cards or laminated poll tax?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:35 AM »

Of course there won't be any penalties for not applying for an ID card.

However you won't be able to get benefits/pensions, nor will you be able to have a bank account, or a driving license, nor will you be able to leave the country. Its extremely unlikely that you'll be able to have gas or electricity, a phone or anything else that requires you to enter into a contract. All of that is possible without a vote ever taking place in parliament because Neu Liebour have already got the power to do it via enabling acts - eg try and open a bank account without a passport/photo driving license these days, its impossible to do for anyone "normal".

Why bother with penalties when you can make "normal" life without a card impossible?

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:47:15 AM »

Of course there won't be any penalties for not applying for an ID card.

However you won't be able to get benefits/pensions, nor will you be able to have a bank account, or a driving license, nor will you be able to leave the country. Its extremely unlikely that you'll be able to have gas or electricity, a phone or anything else that requires you to enter into a contract. All of that is possible without a vote ever taking place in parliament because Neu Liebour have already got the power to do it via enabling acts - eg try and open a bank account without a passport/photo driving license these days, its impossible to do for anyone "normal".

Why bother with penalties when you can make "normal" life without a card impossible?

Yep, I agree and what will we do about all this?  Nowt I guess, cos we're British (read English for moi)!
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »

I belong to that small minority where perhaps an ID card might be useful. I don't have a driving licence and my passport is about ten years out of date.
There again I can't remember the last time (if ever) that I needed to prove who I was.
Its over thirty years since I opened a bank account, but I believe the procedure is not as simple as it used to be because of money laundering laws.

If it was free I might apply for one, but I'm dammed if I'm going to pay for one.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »

I remember a few years ago when I was a Taxi driver, I went to my bank to cash a cheque for a 'largish' amount and the cashier asked for some picture ID. The only thing I had with a picture was my old, taxi badge which had expired about three weeks earlier. The new one was hanging in the cab.
She was about to accept it then noticed the date and said that she could not accept it as it had expired. I tried to explain that I had not expired and it still proved who I was but she wouldn't have it. Had to keep the queue waiting whilst I went to the car to get my new one.
dave

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »

I'm not gonna be in a hurry to fork out for one of these useless articles.

Can we get rid of this bl**din' government PLEASE

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »

I'm not gonna be in a hurry to fork out for one of these useless articles.

Can we get rid of this bl**din' government PLEASE

I'll second that!

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »

@davem

My husband had a similar experience when attempting to open a bank account, he had none of the list the cashier reeled off, he did however have his Police ID card, with his rank and photo on.  She refused to accept it because it wasn't on her list :'( :-X

Fortunately for her, the manager heard hubbies protests, and told her that of course she could accept it ::)

With regard to the ID card, one can only hope for a change of government before these pillocks make it a reality

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »

I am amazed that anyone should pretend that ID cards will protect us . How ?. There are two things they will do .
1 :Allow more officials (and not so official people ) to spy on us by accessing the secure goverment data base (is that another oxymoron?)

2 : give crooks the best opportunity they have ever had  to steal identities .If hackers can get into the pentagon database then this should be a cinch for them. No need to go through dustbins any more , looking for old documents . 
Jeff
zen user

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »

<RANT ON>

Yes, rather worrying times ahead for all of us NORMAL people.

ID cards, particularly in view of the governments performance with lost computers here, lost disks there, are a golden opportunity for the criminal element to wreak havoc with our society. God help us all.

I think we should send Mr Brown back to Scotland, and all his Cabinet colleagues to the far corners of the earth, and start again with half a dozen (at most) chimpanzees. They could make a better hash of things than the bl**din' idiotic politicians.

<RANT OFF>

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 07:26:28 AM »

>>>>> I think we should send Mr Brown back to Scotland <<<<<<

Nooooo...........don't want him back here .. :no:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »

<RANT ON>

Yes, rather worrying times ahead for all of us NORMAL people.

ID cards, particularly in view of the governments performance with lost computers here, lost disks there, are a golden opportunity for the criminal element to wreak havoc with our society. God help us all.

I think we should send Mr Brown back to Scotland, and all his Cabinet colleagues to the far corners of the earth, and start again with half a dozen (at most) chimpanzees. They could make a better hash of things than the bl**din' idiotic politicians.

<RANT OFF>

That is the really scary thing.... and no one would be able to stop it, once it happens that's it, no undoing and no one will be safe.  A complete breakdown of society and lawlessness will take over (almost has now in some ways).  I dread what is in store for us with this load of loons running the show!

anything