Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: mobile phones for (two) pennies  (Read 4999 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
mobile phones for (two) pennies
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »

When I go to the seaside in Britain, there are two activities that I regard as essential and non-negotiable...

1) Fish and chips, out of the paper, whilst strolling the promenade or pier (usually in the rain).
2) Spending some time in the penny machine arcades.

It's best to do them in that order, else the chips acquire a musty metallic taste transferred from your fingertips, even if you do try to wash it off.

I've just been for a short holiday in Looe, Cornwall.  Following (1) I indulged in (2) and was surprised to find that the two penny pushover machines appeared to loaded with quite modern mobile phones.  Alas, on closer inspection, they turned out to be fakes - not toys, but genuine non-working replicas.  I guess they're the 'display' models, such as you see hanging on the wall in phone shops.   All the buttons work (in as much as they have the right tactile 'click', and the slider mechanisms work just like the real thing.  Some have a 'fake' display sticker inside the screen which gives it away, but others have normal-looking screens.

For an investment of about £10 in two penny coins, I came home with four of them.  I can't make up my mind what to do with them, though?   I can't help being curious as to whether they have any electronics whatsoever inside, but dismantling won't be easy as the battery covers are glued on (and in one case moulded into the rest of the case).

BTW - Looe's lovely.  And if you don't fancy fish & chips, there's plenty of pasty shops.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: mobile phones for (two) pennies
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »

1) Yes,Looe is lovely
2) smash em to bits with a hammer
3)You need a hobby
4)Can I have a chip  :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

Funny you should say that, Phil, as my girlfriend keeps telling me I need a hobby.   In fact I heard it quite a lot at the weekend, as well as 'Can I have a chip?'.

-7LM

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »

:D
Well 7LM,we both can't be wrong.  :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »

For an investment of about £10 in two penny coins, I came home with four of them. 

Should of taken a trip to "Spec-Savers" thought you would have noticed after the first one.
Or was the the excitement of winning (which is a very rare occurrence on these machines) that made you continue.  :lol:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

It was obvious all along the phones were fake (it said so on the machines), but that didn't stop me wanting them.  In all seriousness I think they're a bit of good fun, and at least you walk away from the penny machines with something (albeit something useless) to show for your pennies, and to talk about in the pub afterwards, and in the office when you get back to work.

I've just managed to unglue the battery cover from my 'Samsung U600'.  The 'battery' seems to be a solid lump of lead, carefully judged to be a similar weight to a real battery.   I now have access to the screws that hold the case together so further dismantling should be easy.  Actually, I think this might become my new hobby..? :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »

:lol: :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker