Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Domain name hosting  (Read 15067 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Domain name hosting
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »

I wish to register a domain name, any recommendations for company to do this through?

Thanks

gom

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Domain name hosting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »

It depends what you plan to do with it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »

Are you wanting a co.uk or .com domain.

Theres some 'bargin bucket' type companies - and prices do vary depending on whether you want uk or com..
Over the past 8 years or so Ive used several different domain registration co's for either myself or on behalf of others.

Whilst not the cheapest (£10 for 2 years) for co.uk -  I always use Easily.co.uk as I like their control panel..  and on top of that they have a freephone support and sales no.
Its purely because of this that I dont mind paying that tiny little bit more.  Any correspondence Ive ever had with them has been dealt with promptly and efficiently and most importantly by a human being who knows what theyre talking about.

As said..  I have used other Co's in the past..  but now only use Easily, and even transferred a couple to them.
In fact even though my hosting is elsewhere and  I could get the domain cheaper..   I still prefer to keep the domain registration for  kitz.co.uk with Easily. For the sake of saving a couple of quid I dont mind, and IMHO its worth the flexibility they give me.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »

Thanks for the responses.

I want a co.uk domain name for my business, initially just for e-mail but may use for web site in future.  The one I want appears to be available, I looked on 1 & 1 and Easily, the former being cheaper.

If I register through 1 & 1, or any body else for that matter, can I then use the domain name through my ISP such that I can keep it if I move ISP?

gom

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

I've used 123-Reg for mine and never had any problems.

As to using it with your ISP for email what you will need to do is to set up with whoever you use to re-direct the emails to your ISP's email system, this is normally done via a control panel of some sort. Yes you will be able to keep this domain when you move ISP's since all you do is change the redirection.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »

If I register through 1 & 1, or any body else for that matter, can I then use the domain name through my ISP such that I can keep it if I move ISP?
That's where the facilities (and prices) offered start to become interesting.
Personally I use a company called Red Fox Hosting (but there are many similar) who provide web space and email services and manage registration of all sorts of domains. I have about 10 domains in total and a couple are registered elsewhere but still have web/email at RFH. That costs about £30 a year plus registration fees.
As a result I'm completely independent of my broadband supplier who I only need (and only use) for connectivity.
I also have a collection of email accounts related to "historical" broadband suppliers (they don't always die when you move on) and use these occasionally.

My advice would be to pick a registration supplier who can also offer at least basic services (e.g. email and/or web) that you expect to use in due course.

Terminology - I tend to call call my hosting service my ISP and my Broadband Supplier is just that.
(my broadband supplier doesn't even provide email or web space as standard)
Oh, and I don't redirect anything, ever. Just access the relevant email servers directly, which of course are included in my hosting package price.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:28:34 PM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »

>> My advice would be to pick a registration supplier who can also offer at least basic services (e.g. email and/or web) that you expect to use in due course.

Totally agree..  and thats part of the flexibility that I liked about easily.  You can just have the domain name, and then the control panel lets you do various other things.
They offer email bolt ons from £10 per year..  and they also do various hosting plans which you can also pay extra for.

This site is way to busy for easily to host though,* but what I am able to do is transfer DNS etc to any other hosting co free of charge. You can also do other things such as framed forwarding etc to ISP webspace if you dont have any webspace of your own.  I like how you can remain independent but still have control.

*they did phone me once to offer, but when I told them my traffic details they soon relised that I was too busy a site.. but they are ideal for home & small-medium business use.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:42:33 PM »

Sorry for delay in responding.  Thank you for your further advice, I have now registered domain name with e-mail forwarding for my new business and so far all is working well.

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 01:40:28 AM »

:thumbs:
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »

Just for future reference I really like Heart Internet after having a nighmare with 123-reg and there lack of redundancy.

The control panel is brilliant and I like all the reseller functions.