Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How can I get my own domain and Email?  (Read 30300 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: How can I get my own domain and Email?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »

Hi Mick,

That apps thing is interesting :D

I have been still looking around and as I am in the middle of GCSEs haven't really had time to look into it.

I have seen a good offer from Fasthosts which has free unlimited Email Forwarding - which I guess is what happens with Google Apps?

Fasthosts £5.90 + VAT for reg for two years

Thanks for all help, will be looking into it shortly, but that Google thing is great and free idea, email hosting is expensive :(
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 04:22:18 PM »

I have seen a good offer from Fasthosts which has free unlimited Email Forwarding - which I guess is what happens with Google Apps?

No, email forwarding and email hosting are (strictly speaking) two different things.

Once you buy a domain name you will invariably be given access to a control panel to manage your domain records.  One of these is the MX record where you define what the mail domain name will be for your domain;  e.g. <mydomain.co.uk   MX   mail.mydomain.co.uk>.  In the control panel you then map your MX record to any mail server you wish - the mail server where your email messages will be received and stored.  If you use gmail as your mail hoster then you will point your myemail@mydomain.co.uk -> mail.google.com (or whatever it's IP address is).  If you use fasthosts then you will point your MX record in your domain control panel to e.g. mail.fasthosts.co.uk.  Of course, before you do that you will need to subscribe with the hosting company that owns the particular mail server.

After you start receiving messages on the said mail server you can set up mail server side options.  One of the options is to forward emails to another email address.  So, you could set up mail forwarding in your google account to forward any email messages sent to myemail@mydomain.co.uk to myotheremail@hotmail.com.

(I have simplified the above and hope I have explained it correctly - others will put me right here if need be I'm sure.)

Thanks for all help, will be looking into it shortly, but that Google thing is great and free idea, email hosting is expensive :(

Well, do a simple calculation:

Get the rating of the PSU of your computer.  Then multiply its kwh rating x 365 days x 24 hours x cost of electricity for each kwh.  If you have a large desktop you will see that it is probably more expensive than buying the hosting service from a data centre for a year.  If you also include the cost of buying a PC and a UPS then it will soon become apparent that the only way you could make this pay is if you hosted the email accounts and websites of all your friends, neighbours and passers by!  Hold on, did you add the cost of maintaining the server, updating its software, running regular backups with a separate physical storage, etc.?   ;)  It all soon adds up.  If you are prepared to take risks then you could use your old laptop I guess and employ some solar panel solution to pay less for electricity, but you get my point.

There is no free lunch.  Google offer their standard webapps for free because they make money out of advertising (when you use their webmail interface).  Fasthosts et al. have to charge what it costs them (plus a small profit) to earn a living.

Back to your hosting question:  the first step is to buy your own domain name.  Then you can point your mail record wherever you like and change it to another server address when you want to.  So, start with gmail (if only because it is free) and if you don't like it you can try another email hoster.

HTH.
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »

>>> I have seen a good offer from Fasthosts

You may want to be aware of this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/08/fasthosts_email_down/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »

Interesting but I meant for Domain hosting only as their Email hosting is very expensive compared to others I've seen.
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »

Sorry, I thought you were wanting email addresses from the domain too?..  which is what has also been affected.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »

Just an update.

I signed up with Vidahost today a domain name and have set up the Email forwarding.

I may consider doing a hosting package with them as for £20 a year its great.

Their support is excellent too and I am happy I choose them. All credit to Kitz for recommending them, excellent company.
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

:)

Wish I'd heard of them sooner... but then again, when I first went with them they didnt do the smaller packages, and mostly concentrated on the larger type accounts anyhow.
Its good that they now also do starter and cheaper packages more targeted towards home-user/small business.  The offer they have on atm is a damn good deal.

-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »

Hi

quote : Then multiply its kwh rating x 365 days x 24 hours x cost of electricity for each kwh.

That equates to about £1/year /KW for 24 hrs a day .(at present rates )

Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »

Also got to consider bandwidth.   If your upstream is 448kbps, then to the outside world your site may appear to be running pretty slow... especially if theres more than one user viewing it at a time.

Thats totally discounting how many ISPs have CAPS and FUPS so its possible that you could soon eat into any allowances. 

-----

DannyE

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »

I am thinking of registering a domain and hosting say 5 email addresses on it.

I have looked around and 1and1 have some good deals for £5.99 for a .co.uk domain for 2years and7POP3 inboxes for 15.99 p/a.

Could anyone recommend me some providers and some advice on how I do it?

If you need less than 50  email addresses on your domain, then the best free deal is Google Apps Standard, which is the same Gmail service but with your domain name (and POP3 support).

Danny.

[link removed by admin]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:03:49 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »

Sorry..  but your link with  a fee of $50 for doing this seems a tad expensive and when coming from a first time poster looks like spam. :/

Link removed.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]