Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Web Cam Decision time  (Read 4226 times)

mywifeshusband

Web Cam Decision time
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »

Using Skype I communicate with family in Australia, USA & Germany. I use a Logitech 1.3 webcam, as does my daughter in New York. My son uses something out of the ark in Munich and my younger daughter uses something posh about 2mb 10,500miles away in Gosford NSW. She has a good broadband connection at about 3.5mbps and from her I get an excellent picture. That from the States id OK and the one from Germany truly awful!
Now I'm on a fixed ADSL at a nominal 1 mbps 0.97 as often as not, and with the comparable lower upload speed associate with fixed ADSL.
Question is it worth my while upgrading to a £50 2mb webcam so as to give my family a better view of father in the family home? If so I'll send my old Logitec 1.3 to my son for Christmas!!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Web Cam Decision time
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:01 PM »

Afraid I dont know much about webcams as I dont have one.

Perhaps one of the others will know :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »

Sorry if it's not much use, but we had a discussion some time ago concerning web cams.
If Mr Chris is around he may be of more help than some people.

My only thought on the matter would be that the more expensive cam is not going to get you the results that you would like as possibly your 1Mb connection will not stream it quick enough.

But I may be wrong.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:49:36 AM »

hi mwh

install something like dumeter and install it.  start a video conf with someone and see if your max upload speed is maxed out.

if it is then a larger MP wecam will not help you.

if you did upgrade to a higher res webcam then you would prob see a dramatic drop in frame rate, which i think is worse than a good frame rate at lower res.
Paul