Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Supanet to start clearing old email address of none paying customers.  (Read 20456 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.

To anyone who uses a none paid for email account with Supanet and still wishes to keep it, you will need to login to the Supanet site and select one of the alternative free options to be able to continuing using a free Supanet email address.
Or pay £10 PA to stay as you are.

You only have two weeks from this date, or else you will lose it.

Dear Customer,

Supanet is investing in its infrastructure to improve the service offered to its customers. We have been providing online services for over a decade, during which time we have accumulated over several million email accounts.

We appreciate that as people move home or their circumstances change some of these accounts can be forgotten or are no longer required.

Our plan is to remove these unwanted accounts, which, coupled with our investment, will provide a higher quality of service to our paying customers.
To ensure a fair service to all our customers, Supanet will be introducing a small management charge to email only customers of just £10 per year or 99p per month for up to 5 email addresses.

To arrange payment and continue to use your email only account click here. (You will be asked to register your email addresses so please make a note of them prior to proceeding). Alternatively, if you wish to discuss your options in more detail, please call our advisors on 0870 124 9207. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.

Alternatively to avoid paying the charge and keep your existing email addresses we would recommend you sign up to our free evening and weekend call package

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Supanet to start clearing old email address of none paying customers.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:43:33 AM »

Thanks for the heads up OF :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »

Must have been my fault, because only the other week I was saying how I have had a Supanet account for years and never pay anything for the use of the email account.

Oh well, one less to have lying around I suppose.

edit:
That must be good timing, as i just received my first "and last" spam email from my Supanet address.
"Courtesy of UKphonebook.com" :lol:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:18:46 AM by oldfogy »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »

I occasionally use my Supanet email address and I would be sorry to lose it. A test email to it goes through with no problem so I haven't been erased yet! I can find no announcement of this clear out of old email accounts on their web site and I haven't received an email from them. The only point of contact I can find is an 0870 number which I'm not keen to ring. Has anyone got a link to an official statement from Supanet. It's not that I don't trust you OF but the free evening and weekend account seems to refer to telephony rather than being connected with emails. I suppose I could email their help line but previous experience suggests this would be a very long term activity!
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »

Tony,you might find an alternative number to 0870 here.

www.saynoto0870.com

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 01:26:47 PM »

Has anyone got a link to an official statement from Supanet.

http://www.supanet.com/computing/news/87410/Supanet_updates_email_accounts.html
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »

Thanks Kitz and UncleUB. I think I must move into the 21st century and register a domain and use that for emails. It would probably be much more flexible than the set up I use at the moment especially if my Supanet address is no longer useable. I see Grumpy Old Man is posting about this as well. I must make a few more enquiries.
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »

Just to say I have received my email with the news of the demise of my Supanet email address this a.m.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »

Theyve obviously had a clear out.   
Ive just had 2 emails from different users bounced back at the forum server from users who have tried to sign up with their Supanet accounts.

So - Bob and jacquie - if youre reading this, the reason you cant subscribe to the forums is that your supanet accounts are now closed and you need to sign up using a different email address.
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »

I still use a Freeserve (remember them?) account now Orange.

But I do dial in every now and them to keep it active, it must be 10 years old now.