Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Phylosophy  (Read 2267 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Phylosophy
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Beers   :hmm:

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 Beers .

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded  to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full.  They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things---your family, your children,    your health, your friends and your favourite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.   

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff.    'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

'Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Spend time with your children . Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always  be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.'   

The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.'

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Re: Phylosophy
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:40:41 PM »

Good one :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »

very wise  :graduate:
zen user

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:50 AM »

Yes, that all makes very good sense.

I wonder if that professor is interested in a new job heading up the new Department of Common Sense ?

TTFN
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »

how true ezzer - excellent.
Paul

Oh Snap.

• Reg Member
  • You're as weak as the hearts you break.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »

Excellent!

I enjoyed this so much, I stole it and posted it to my facebook.
Maybe it's not my weekend, But it's gonna be my year.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

Good one !   ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker