Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Tweaking tool - XP-AntiSpy  (Read 2865 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Windows Tweaking tool - XP-AntiSpy
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

XP-AntiSpy

I have only just come across what seems like a nice little program for adjusting "Tweaking" lots of XP or Vista settings, although it has been around for some time.

The program runs from a folder, therefore does not need to be installed.
Should you decide to download it, please take a few minutes to read the help file that is also in the folder.

My only one observation to-date was that the setting in the "Miscellaneous Settings" section needed to have the tick removed from the "Always show *.url suffixes" section, or else all of your favourite's will also show the .url extension which was quite annoying. Although that may of been because of the particular profile I initially selected, but it is very customisable.

TIP:
Select to put a shortcut on your desktop to the program/file to save initially having to keep going back to the folder.

The xp-AntiSpy is a little utility that lets you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features' in WindowsXP.
For example, there's a service running in the background which is called 'Automatic Updates'.
I don't know what this service transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you like, you can even disable these functions manually, by going through the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes. This will take you approximately half an hour. But why wast time when a little neat utility can do the same in 1 minute?

This utility was successfully tested by lots of users, and was found to disable all the known 'Suspicious' Functions in WindowsXP.

It's customiseable, but comes up with the Default settings, which are recommended.

This utility is DONATIONWARE! This means, you don't have to pay anything for this program and you can give it to anyone who's interested in it, as long as you don't sell it.

http://www.xp-antispy.org/index.php/lang-en