Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Think Broadband Meter  (Read 6003 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Think Broadband Meter
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »

I have just come across this on TB:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

Its their own Broadband Monitor! Seems quite good, looks like they are trying to do the same as Sam Knows?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Think Broadband Meter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

Nope. not really.

The samknows is an actual box (router) that monitors your connection and remains plugged in 24/7.  Sam records this data as a guide to how ISPs are performing.

The tbb meter is something more akin to DUMeter or NetMeter and monitors your actual usage rather than just speed, and not anything that the sambox does.

When I read it the other day.. I found this bit interesting though..  which isnt like anything done elsewhere.
n the near future, we'll be launching an accompanying website which allows you to go back and look at your longer term statistics in more detail including monitoring multiple household computers which have tbbMeter installed

Therefore Im wondering just how much data gets sent to TBB when you use it...  I cant really find any more info about that though atm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Think Broadband Meter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »

Nope. not really.

The samknows is an actual box (router) that monitors your connection and remains plugged in 24/7.  Sam records this data as a guide to how ISPs are performing.

The tbb meter is something more akin to DUMeter or NetMeter and monitors your actual usage rather than just speed, and not anything that the sambox does.

When I read it the other day.. I found this bit interesting though..  which isnt like anything done elsewhere.
n the near future, we'll be launching an accompanying website which allows you to go back and look at your longer term statistics in more detail including monitoring multiple household computers which have tbbMeter installed

Therefore Im wondering just how much data gets sent to TBB when you use it...  I cant really find any more info about that though atm

It uses a seperate client in the background
http://www.isposure.co.nz/index.htm

Reading on the TB forums, they are using this as it means they wouldn't have to build an app to the job of the Isposure software.

So far I have only seen one test ran in the log, other times there is too much happening with the CPU.

Seems like it could work well, as soon as they have this background testing going.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

anything