Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wiring help needed please  (Read 13930 times)

Darryl

Re: Wiring help needed please
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »

So i should just leave the junction box the way it is and have the line between the junction and my room changed along with a master in my room with a good filtered face place?

Thanks Darryl

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »

No, you already have a master.

Any chance you can post diagrams:
1. As it is now, showing what's connected to what (the wires) and what's plugged in.
2. What you want working where and what can be removed or disconnected.

Darryl

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 08:30:07 PM »

Junction box and 1 extension that i do not use

----------------------------------  ^
                                             | Up stairs

Passage is the master which isnt in use
My room where the router and sky is plugged in
Room next to me is the wireless phone and sky

Would there be any point paying to replace anything outside where the line comes in into the junction like the line bit and the box itself?

And same for the wire from junction to my room where i want the master is there a point in upgrading that wire to better quality wire for my broadband?

Thanks for the comments guys  :)                             

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »

Sorry if I missed something but Ive read the thread several times trying to understand your layout.
Do I have this correct.

Code: [Select]
Drop Wire --------> Connector (BT80A) -----> LJU2 Master
(Top of stairs)                              (Paggage)

LJU2 Slave  ------>  adsl filter -----> Router
(Your room)                      -----> Sky

LJU2 Slave  ------>  adsl filter -----> Phone
(Lounge)                         -----> Sky     

What I cant figure out is
  • 1) Which extension comes from the master socket first or if they are spurred (both coming off the master.
  • 2). For the lounge are you using a BT doubler plug to feed both the sky and phone?
  • 3). Because I dont know the layout of your home..  whether you need a new NTe5a master relocated (say in the passage or in your room or lounge) and which will be the extension(s). Normalisation is just replacing the existing LJU2 master with an NTE5a

>> Would there be any point paying to replace anything outside where the line comes in into the junction like the line bit and the box itself?

This is a relocation of the master socket. my parents recently had this done, but iirc it cost them well over £100 with BT, you can ask for 'NTE5a normalisation' at the same time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »

We do need a"proper" diagram.  ;)

Darryl

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:04 AM »

Yes that is exacly the setup at the moment, i dont mind paying to change it all because this is going to be my home now for a very long time.

As for wiring i want the master in my room along with 1 extension to the lounge, so what could BT do for me as far as back from the master to the junction etc and how much roughly are we talking about to get it all done?

Cheers guys Darryl

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

TBH I think you may be best asking BT how much they are going to charge for something like moving the master socket and installing a nte5.
The prices do sometimes seem to vary, but I should imagine it would be somewhere around the 100-150 region to get BT to do it :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Darryl

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »

To be honest im not gonna be working in the next month or so for a month so money is gonna be really tight im either just gonna leave it alone for now.

If i was gonna do it myself can anyone recommend which wire to use and nte etc?

Thanks Darryl

Edit. Post edited for legal reasons.

dave
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:45:32 AM by dave.m »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »

There is a legal way to fit an NTE5A, detailed on Kitz main site.

BT really don't like you to do it otherwise and you could end up with a big bill for "rectification".

It looks like you need mainly to rationalise the wiring, removing unwanted extensions etc.
Now who knows which sockets were wired in by you and which by BT? Do they all use the same type of cable?
If during that process the current master socket got "accidentally swapped" to a different, more convenient,  extension back-box who would know?  :-X

Darryl

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »

I think ill have someone do it and if ever they ask it was like that when i moved in, how much would they charge me tho for touching them out of interest?

And should i leave the junction box the way it is or can i change that to improve things?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »

You cant touch the junction box at all.  Okay you could perhaps just take a quick peep inside to make sure all the wires are connected properly, but thats about it.
The way to do a legal NTE5 installation and all the other stuff you can do is outlined on the page - Improve your broadband speed.

A new NTE5 off the top of my head is about £10, an adsl filtered faceplate about £16, then there's possibly stuff like new cable and a IDC tool if needed.
-----

Darryl

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

So what cable what you recommend me to use m8 and which faceplate and stuff

Thanks
Darryl

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »

CW1308 is proper twisted phone cable.

ADSLnation sell all you'll ever need.

Darryl

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »

So if i use Pro+ cable from junction to a nte in my room along with one of their face plates (which one btw does it matter?) along with Pro+ to an extenstion in other room?

Thanks
Darryl

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »

If you were looking to do this yourself then go for the legal addition of an nte5 as per Kitz's link. dosconnect any old extention wiring from the original nte but be carefull to note which pair is your "lead-in" (the pair that feeds the nte with your dial tone).

Ant extention wiring can run from whatever face plate you have running from the new nte5. If your using an dsl-ssfp (the broadband face plate) but the site of the nte5 is inconvinient for your position of your router/pc then ther are 2 ways round this.

A data extention kit, Han't seen these on sale but esentialy a cat5 style cable with a plug to fit in the dsl output of the face plate which then can lead to a socket with the relavent connector so you can plug your router by its lead that originaly went into the micro filter.

or plug the router via the face plate and get a long ethernet to run from the router to the pc if your not utilising a wireless signal.

or a 3rd option get a very long version of the lead that runs between the filter and router.

all other extention wiring for the phones wil be seperate, the dsl ssfp will seperate any issues from this wiring from your dsl signal
Pages: 1 [2] 3