Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Noise problem  (Read 5242 times)

Andy C

• Just arrived
Noise problem
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can have a look at my line stats and shed any light on the problem.

I have been in touch with BT today and they say it's nothing to do with them and are blaming my equipment.

My router a Netgear DG834GT is plugged in to the master socket via a BT supplied faceplate, the one with the separate ADSL/Phone connections. This router is about 2 years old.

The line would normally sync @ around 2400-2700Kbps with a target SNR of 15db my IP profile was 2000Kbps

The noise margin is now fluctuating form -4 up to 24 the average is about 8db
My sync at the moment is 640Kbps any attempt to sync higher results in loss of connection and a re-sync to a lower speed.

The only thing I have noticed is the power has dropped, it was 18.4dbm the other day now it has dropped to 16.6dbm

Downstream RX
Noise Margin:     3.3   dB
Connection Rate:  640 Kbps
Line Attenuation: 53.0 dB
Power:            16.6 dBm

SF:               335531
SF Errors:        48073
Reed Solomon:     2852022
RS Corrected:     215673
RS Un-Corrected:  242865
HEC:              36523
Errored Seconds:  55159
Severe ES:        10739
Interleave Depth: 4

Total Up Time:
 1 day 6 hours 37 min 39 sec

CRC:  581545
LOS:  6201
LOF:  478
ES :  55227

Bytes Transferred (ppp0):
  Tx: 99357 (97.0 KiB)
  Rx: 246019 (240.2 KiB)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:04:10 PM by Andy C »
DSL-2740B

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Noise problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »

ouch at those graphs  :'(

You have what appears to be a classic case of Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN Fault).

Such faults are often very tricky to track down, but theres a guide on the above page.  Start by seeing if you can think of anything that gets switched on at the time your symptoms start to get worse.  Typical causes of late have been faulty sky-boxes, TV's and monitors, but the more usual suspects are heating / PIR lighting.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Andy C

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:44:18 AM »

Could it be the router it's self faleing?            What would be a good replacment for my 834GT
DSL-2740B

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »

No, it's very unlikely to be the router causing this. It looks like a REIN problem as Kitz suggested, or could possibly be an intermittent line fault. Do you hear any crackling or similar noise on the telephone?
  Eric

Andy C

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »

No I get no noise on the telephone.

Start by seeing if you can think of anything that gets switched on at the time your symptoms start to get worse.

The noise margin that is fluctuating is constant, it looks like the last graph all the time or at least the last 36 hours when it started. It's just the same during the day as it is on a night.
DSL-2740B

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »

I'd seen the 1st graph @ 8pm which looks perfectly normal..  the 2nd graph shows that the noise started at around 22:52 and by 23:00 it was going crazy...  which is why I asked about things being switched on.

I did notice it being bad between 2-3pm...  but wondered if there was a specific time too recorded which showed the time period when it went ok before the 9pm graph... which would give you the time when whatever it is/was was switched off.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Andy C

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's nothing coming from my house. I've been around the house and unplugged everything and even turned  all the fuses off in the fuse box apart from the down stairs ring. I just can't see any pattern to it at all, there is not one part of the day when it looks any different.

I've watched the street light come on and go off with no affect. I've seen the street empty of cars when every one goes off to work, but nothing that happens around here seems to change the stats.

If it is REIN it must be coming from somewhere between my village and the village 3 miles down the road where the exchange is. Most of the road in between is rural with little or no buildings. I'll have to have a drive down when I come home from work in the morning.
DSL-2740B

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »

Have you tried the 'radio trick'?
-----

Andy C

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »

Yes I did try the radio trick, up and down the village this morning like a nutter  ;D

Any way got totally peed off with it all and went and bought a new router. I got a D-Link Wireless-N DSL-2740B ADSL2+ Modem Router. Came home plugged it in and it synced at 2848kbps with a noise margin of 13.5 Not sure if it will hold this a my target SNR is 15 but if it dose I'll have my 2.5Mbps back.

Or and the noise problem, well the line in router stats4-lite is very straight  :o I'm not saying any thing else until tomorrow, I'll leave it running over nigh but I have everything crossed  8)
DSL-2740B

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:35 PM »

Yes I did try the radio trick, up and down the village this morning like a nutter  ;D

Any way got totally peed off with it all and went and bought a new router. I got a D-Link Wireless-N DSL-2740B ADSL2+ Modem Router. Came home plugged it in and it synced at 2848kbps with a noise margin of 13.5 Not sure if it will hold this a my target SNR is 15 but if it dose I'll have my 2.5Mbps back.

Or and the noise problem, well the line in router stats4-lite is very straight  :o I'm not saying any thing else until tomorrow, I'll leave it running over nigh but I have everything crossed  8)

The DSL-2740B is what I use and fine it performs well.

Make sure it has all the latest firmware otherwise it will drop sessions and only a reboot sorts them :(

Download the latest firmware from here:
ftp://ftp.dlink.it/Adsl/DSL-2740B/Firmware/Ver2.61/EU_DSL-2740B_2.61b243.zip

That sorts loads of issues as well as adding features which will now work!!

To find your target SNR just see what the SNR is straight after a resync.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

moxy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 01:45:05 AM »

Andy, your graphs look the exactly the same as I had, it was an iffy port in the exchange, moxy

Andy C

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »

The new router seems to have sorted my problem out. Still synced @ 2848 but mt IP profile hasn't changed yet still on 135 The new router has also given me a better attenuation, now at 52 down from 53

@ jid. What do you mean by "it will drop sessions" It came with firmware version 2.24 seems to be very stable.
DSL-2740B