Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wiring help needed please  (Read 13877 times)

Darryl

Wiring help needed please
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

Firsly hi to everyone here and thanks for taking the time to look at me topic and any help is really appreciated!

I have not been in this house for long and after looking at the wiring it seems outdated compared to me old home. Im not very familar with wiring but after around 2 days after work googling im not exacly clueless. My first ever time opening up a port to remove the 3rd wire after reading about it shot my sync speed from 2mb to 4mb it hasnt increased the speed yet tho still at 1.5mb.

As to the wiring i see no master port in this house there are 3 extenstion ports down stairs which i removed the 3rd wire from all to get the speed up, i have tho noticed that from the pole the line comes in through the side of my at the top of the stairs to a small box people call it a junction box? I opended her to see that the line comes in to A+B then 2+5 for the extension stuff down stairs.

Im currently connecting a filter into the extension port where one goes through the Monster surge protector then to me router there is also a extension plugged into the filter and it goes round me desk for the Sky.
Now in the other room i connect another filter and my wireless phone + Sky are plugged into it.

If you guys wear in me shoes what setup would you try and do? By the way i want my wiring done to the best possible standard i dont mind on the costs to a certain extent ofcourse, basically i want my wiring done the Mike Homes way  ;)

Thanks for any help that you provide,
Darryl

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Wiring help needed please
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »

Hi and welcome

The first thing I have to say is that, if you haven't got an NTE5 type of master socket, then all your telephone wiring belongs to BT and you shouldn't really touch it. If you want your wiring done to the best possible standard, then you should pay BT to fit an NTE5. This isn't actually very expensive - the current BT price list shows the cost as £29.38 (look near the bottom of the page).

After that, the best thing to do is to fit a filtered faceplate to the new master socket and connect the router directly to that. Actually, BT might do this for you when they fit the NTE5. A bacon buttie bribe might be required. :)

Eric

Darryl

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »

Hi Roseway, so leave the junction box the way it is and have BT to install one of them boxes in my lounge? And would BT replace the wire between the junction to where my room is if so would they use good stuff or?

I also read that people had one of those boxes replace the junction and then had another master in downstairs with filterface plate?

Thanks Darryl

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »

the line comes in to A+B then 2+5 for the extension stuff
That sounds like it might be an NTE5A..... :-\
Have a look here to identify it: http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/nte5.php

Darryl

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:30:04 PM »

Its as small as a matchbox with a screw in the middle of it and says 80a foa 82 or something like that on the back of it with a t in cirlce on the frount of it.

Thanks Darryl

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:35:42 PM by HPsauce »

Darryl

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »

Is it really that bad  :D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »

Probably. Check this page to confirm exactly what it is please.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

If it's just a plain 80A that's fine, the RF2 variant is very nasty.  >:D

Darryl

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »

It looks like this one mate BT80A

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

If it's the simple 80A that's fine, sorry to panic you but there have been a couple of people with BT80a RF2's killing the speed.
So definitely no black electronic components inside it?

Darryl

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »

No mate just A+B+E screw things and below that are the a+b+e for extenstion. So i should just leave that the way it is and have a master in my lounge?

Thanks Darryl

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

Why not, but beware what you might get charged - get it all agreed up front.
Is there definitely no master socket at all, not even the old type?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

>> If it's just a plain 80A that's fine, the RF2 variant is very nasty.

lmao...  I nearly had a fit then...  kinda like buses isnt it?   Theres never one for ages then a load of them all come at once.  :lol:

---------

If you have a BT80A, then thats ok.  If you want an NTE5 fitting, then the request you need to make to BT is master socket normalisation. The price roseway pointed out is correct.. although sometimes I believe if theyre not already working in or on the premises, there may be an additional call out fee.   You will need to check with your TelCo provider, how much normalisation will cost you.

You cant actually swap the old LJU2 socket for an NTE5 yourself.  This is a BIG NO.  There is only one way that you can legally install an NTE5 yourself and thats shown at the bottom of this page  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 08:04:08 PM »

>> Is there definitely no master socket at all, not even the old type?

There should be one somewhere - theyre not that easily identifiable without opening up the  box.   It will be the LJU2 that has the ring capacitor in

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Darryl

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »

I just reopended the passage port and yes it looks like that one you posted there
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything