Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommend ISP - No LLU in my exchange  (Read 9898 times)

Alize

• Just arrived
Recommend ISP - No LLU in my exchange
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »

Hello everybody,

Been a lurker for sometime, love the forums by the way, very insightful, and you guys KNOW what you're talking about.

Long story, basically, we were with Pipex, got switched  to Tiscali, ever since, our speeds have been 56k or lower, after numerous phone calls with BT and Tiscali, apparently it is nothing their end, what a load of tosh, I've tried several routers, several filters, coming from the main line, other people in my neighbourhood have 6mb speeds. I'd like to switch providers, we're a very high usage user, so higher they allow the better, BeThere/O2 looks the best for us, BUT we can't get BeThere because our local exchange isn't unbundled.

Now O2 offer an unlimited service, do they use BeThere dslams if you're outside the "catchment" area? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what ISP to try? The main focus is bandwidth, we use a lot of bandwidth, more the merrier, we'd need a minimum of 60gb, is this too much for O2?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Recommend ISP - No LLU in my exchange
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:47:35 PM »

Hi and welcome

This page may be helpful, but to be honest you're asking a lot if you don't have LLU operators in your exchange. O2 use the BeThere equipment, so if that isn't in your exchange then O2 can't offer it either. To get 60 GB plus from a BT-based ISP you will have to pay a high price or accept heavy traffic management.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »

O2 primarily use Be's equipment at the exchange.

However if you cant get LLU they also offer something called 'Access' which is provisioned by BT Wholesale IPStream.
Unfortunately IPStream is expensive for the ISP when compared to LLU, so thats why most IPStream ISPs have to impose some form of cap or FUP.

Saying that o2/Be are about the only ISP that I know of who havent actually invoked their FUP to date (including IPStream Access).

Just be aware that although they say unlimited that if you are provisioned by IPStream, there may come a time if too many users abuse the 'unlimited' and costs spiral out of control that they may take action.  I'm only saying that as a warning, knowing that no IPStream ISP can afford to take a hit from too many heavies.
But if they did, I would imagine they would start looking at those doing a few hundred GBs first rather than 60GB.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »

If you can manage your download times then PlusNet (free off-peak) are worth considering and their top-tier package includes 30GB per month anyway.

Alize

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »

Thank you very much for your response guys, I was indeed talking about O2's more expensive package because our Local Exchange isn't LLU, apparently, it is scheduled to be until 2012, sucks to be me!

I think we will try O2.

If any of you guys need any website help, let me know, I'm a web developer by profession (PHP/MySQL, JavaScript/AJAX, (X)HTML/CSS)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »

Yes HP makes a good point about Plusnets off peak - it is a valid alternative.

>> If any of you guys need any website help, let me know, I'm a web developer by profession (PHP/MySQL, JavaScript/AJAX, (X)HTML/CSS)

ooooh dont tempt me  :lol:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Alize

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

>>ooooh dont tempt me  laugh

What do you have in mind? lol

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:49:33 AM »

... loads.   I have tons of ideas  :lol:

Seriously though I'm 'self taught' and this was my first ever attempt into php/mysq programming. *
My 2nd attempt was the ISP rating system which has an awful lot of backend stuff.  All the code aside from the bar chart display module is mine.
Theres more and more stuff thats gradually moving over to dynamic content.

I currently have another largish project on the go, thats kinda half implemented.. but currently on hold till I find some time.
Talk about jumping in at the deep end - but thats the way I learn by getting my teeth stuck into something rather than 'Hello World'.  Admittedly it helped by having programmed in Java... and I quite enjoy a challenge.

*I'm aware theres a couple of minor bugs right now due to BT changing something this week on the phone no lookups , but I will fix it, just got distracted the past few days by this  :(
-----

Alize

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »

If you ever need help, do let me know, or need some ideas on how to achieve something, or anything, just say so!

I was also self taught, messing about with websites at the age of 14, now I have a career in it, who would have thought it?

In all honesty, there isn't much I can't do regarding websites anymore, including Flash/ActionScript.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »

Thank you very much, that really is kind of you to offer.. I will bear it in mind if I ever get stuck :)
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 07:38:36 AM »

O2 primarily use Be's equipment at the exchange.

However if you cant get LLU they also offer something called 'Access' which is provisioned by BT Wholesale IPStream.
Unfortunately IPStream is expensive for the ISP when compared to LLU, so thats why most IPStream ISPs have to impose some form of cap or FUP.

Saying that o2/Be are about the only ISP that I know of who havent actually invoked their FUP to date (including IPStream Access).

Just be aware that although they say unlimited that if you are provisioned by IPStream, there may come a time if too many users abuse the 'unlimited' and costs spiral out of control that they may take action.  I'm only saying that as a warning, knowing that no IPStream ISP can afford to take a hit from too many heavies.
But if they did, I would imagine they would start looking at those doing a few hundred GBs first rather than 60GB.

Is this still the same?

I am thinking of changing to O2 but my exchange is not LLU, well it is but I am not gong to TalkTalk about that :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »

afaik, yes
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »

Just signed up to OS Access today, oh I hope I have not made a mistake.

Got Access for around £17 and (sorry Kitz) also gone through Quidco for a possible £70 cash back (It has tracked).

Then my relative contacted me and said I could have had it for £7.50 on friends and family discount.

Wish me luck.

BB

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »

>> Then my relative contacted me and said I could have had it for £7.50 on friends and family discount.

:/ - damn missed opportunity - is there anyway of changing this since youre not yet live.

Good luck anyhow
-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »

I would have taken on Zen myself due to thier great support staff  ;)
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.