Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Spam storm  (Read 28298 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Spam storm
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »

very nice too! ;D
zen user

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »

Hmm seems spammers are getting hi-tek now  8) Shall Imagine warm up his advanced tracking tools  ;)  >:D
Imagine™

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »

See, always said these mods were a load of pussycats.
(But nice ones though) :crazy:

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2008, 09:26:51 AM »

I wonder how much bandwidth this will be consuming(and CPU usage)? Was there a spike when the bots started?

I am just thinking of the costs for you because I can already imagine it won't be the cheapest of sites to host. I suppose if it got to much of a resource hog you could put a firewall in front of the site and then any IP's your homebrew bot detectors find add to a 24h blocklist.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »

Hard to say really.
no to spiking though as regards to the 'all out attack' on forums the other week, then I could imagine there was a strong possibility that some servers could have come under CPU pressure and may have caused some slow downs.

I havent noticed a spike in usage through it - the forum traffic is minor compared to the main site, so in the grand scheme of things its not made any difference to bandwidth
I also have a couple of lines of 'defence' some are logged - Those that are stopped at the first hurdle arent, but I should imagine if I could be bothered to go through the traffic logs (which Im not going to!) they will all originate from either beijing or eastern block type countries.  Theres still some that are getting to stage 2 which are logged, as an indication theres been 16 of those in the past 12 hours which have been stopped and logged.  I think you can gather from that, that I'm already using some pretty large IP blocks - which I maintain and add to myself.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »

Yeh I thought you would have had some already I was just curious as to whether these sort of attacks had any other impacts other than being annoying and time consuming.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »

>> being annoying and time consuming.

Thats about the gist of it for me (and the mods).
I could imagine it would have larger impacts on smaller sites as regards to their bandwidth though :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]