Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AVG Accidentally Harmed PCs  (Read 7227 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
AVG Accidentally Harmed PCs
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:46:38 AM »

Probably a bit late now, but just spotted this about a problem caused by AVG AV.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153661/avg_accidentally_harms_pcs.html

AVG Accidentally Harms PCs
Ian Paul, PC World

Nov 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Users of AVG's virus scanner received a bit of a shock earlier this week from the antivirus program, which instructed them to delete a core Windows file that their PCs actually needed.

AVG mistakenly believed the file, called "user32.dll," contained the Trojan Horses PSW.Banker4.APSA or Generic9TBN, according to Security and The Net. Users were instructed to delete it, which caused their computers to jump into an endless loop of reboot cycles. Oops! The only way out of this is to boot the computer from the original Windows CD and run the repair option.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: AVG Accidentally Harmed PCs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:34:37 AM »

Yet another reason to change to Avast.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »

That's bad. Pity Avast caused my PC to enter into an endless reboot cycle so I had to uninstall it quicksmart - in Safe Mode!
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »

I've never had any trouble with Avast.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »

No, it's definitely a weird one. I didn't investigate too much at the time as I was more intent on getting my PC working again, with some kind of AV installed, so I never really pursued it. AVG8 is working fine - nothing can go wrong... wrong... wrong... wrong... ;)
Chris

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »

I've just paid for our annual sub to NOD32 (Business Edition) - 5 licenses for £60. Does what it says on the tin, never moans/prompts, has remote admin & logging etc etc. When Kaspersky turned into bloatware then NOD32 was the only logical choice for me. Dunno what I'll do if NOD32 turns into bloatware :(

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »

Dunno what I'll do if NOD32 turns into bloatware :(

ClamWin? lol
Chris

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:35:10 PM »

AVG have done it again - now its Adobe Flash that's flagged as a trojan. Incompetence is about the only word that's suitable now really :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/14/avg_false_positive_flash/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »

Oh brilliant.  NOT! :no:

Is it any wonder if they cant even id valid windows files and adobe..  that I got totally peed with AVG falsely marking my own progs I'd compiled as malicious (no they werent!)
The reason I got rid of it was there wasnt any easy way to say - "YES that file is ok..  honestly it is... and I really do want to keep it".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »

I find Norton 2009 Internet Security good enough and has excellent Anti-Spam too.

I use Spyware Doctor for Spyware detection which can occasionally go funny...Otherwise they are two great pieces of software.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »

I will never touch any Norton product again even with a 10 foot pole..... In my view any Norton products are the worst products anyone could choose. There are so many issues with them and trying to uninstall them is a nightmare. When I did have Norton AV installed (it came with a PC) it gave me too many problem to mention, I got rid of it a few years ago now. I do currently run AVG but never let it delete or move anything without permission and so far its never done anything dangerous or even tried to, its not perfect but it has not caused me any problems in the couple of years I've been using the free version. Not something I could say about Norton.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »

I will never touch any Norton product again even with a 10 foot pole..... In my view any Norton products are the worst products anyone could choose. There are so many issues with them and trying to uninstall them is a nightmare. When I did have Norton AV installed (it came with a PC) it gave me too many problem to mention, I got rid of it a few years ago now. I do currently run AVG but never let it delete or move anything without permission and so far its never done anything dangerous or even tried to, its not perfect but it has not caused me any problems in the couple of years I've been using the free version. Not something I could say about Norton.

I suppose it must work differently on some computers as I have used it since the 2005 Version and must say it has got better by each version in terms of stability :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »

There are so many issues with them and trying to uninstall them is a nightmare.

Bit old now so not sure if it all applies but here is a tutorial I did on removing Norton, at that time I had done it 50 or more times but very little since then.

It is not for the faint hearted but novices who followed my instructions were OK.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=5492142&postcount=17