Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: O2/BE throttling speeds?  (Read 5357 times)

Rahat

• Reg Member
O2/BE throttling speeds?
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:32:02 PM »

Are O2/Bethere throttling speeds? I average 860kb/s early in the evening and for most of the day but most nights i get download speeds of 650kb/s from various servers. I am aware that a fibre optic cable got cut but an adivsor told me that this was fixed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: O2/BE throttling speeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »

They are not throttling speeds as such.. but there is a problem at some exchanges atm during peak times whilst they await for a new transit link to be installed.

Have a read of this thread where james and I discussed this as it as it first occurred.. and then the later development where an email outlining the situation has gone out to all Be customers.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »

Thanks.

I hope they get their act together soon.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »

off the top of my head and iirc - i think the ETA for the new link to be installed was Nov 17th.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »

Sure hope so. Getting download speeds of 740kb/s right now when it should be 850kb/s.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »

Sure hope so. Getting download speeds of 740kb/s right now when it should be 850kb/s.

If you mean 740 KB/Sec (5920 kbps) as opposed to 6800kbps.. then thats probably about right for this time of the evening.   
More users are online, therefore more sharing the connection.  ADSL is a shared resource and how its affordable - a 1:1 connection would cost nearer £1000 per month.

A backhaul link from the exchange is 155Mb (many other ISP/BTw  VPs are much less than this).. therefore you can imagine it wont take that many people all using their connections at the same time for speeds to start to drop a bit.
-----

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »

Yeah i guess your right. I was getting 850kb/s throughout most of the days during the 1 week holiday so i was getting a bit spoilt lol.

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »

Ping is way too high. Its 500MS ping on speedtest.

Any ideas why?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »

Ping is way too high. Its 500MS ping on speedtest.

Any ideas why?

As Kitz has mentioned, this is why the new backahul links are required, too many users and not enough badnwidth ???
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »

Tut tut tut. Hope these aren't signs of things to come.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »

>> Its 500MS ping on speedtest.

Ive not seen it that high - theres been a few nights when me and jabs have seen around 100ms... or about 120ms to foreign servers. but touch wood the past few days have been fine for me.

BTW - Its not actually Be's backhaul where the problem is -if you do a tracert you can often see where the problem kicks in and its fine on the first few hops...- its actually a something called transit, where the latency shoots up, when it gets to the transit provider.  If you notice in the other thread I was still able to reach Jabns server in 14ms.

From what I can gather there doesnt appear to be much forward planning with Be..  they fix something only when its bust (aside from the DNS that is!)  ???
-----

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 03:37:17 PM »

I have noticed that it varies depending on the browser i use. With IE the pings are about 120ms and with Opera its 400-500ms.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:47:06 PM »

Probably more to do with the browser than anything.

I don't worry about pings from speedtest.net, they rarely mean anything anyway. I prefer to do a trace and/or ping from a command prompt, much more reliable! The link Kitz provided to her Traceroute page shows you how to run a trace if you don't know already :)
Chris

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »

In my experience you have to be very careful in how you interpret Be's announcements. Eg on one occasion when I was with them they announced that a problem would be solved by upgrading to 10Gb/s connections. The announcement made it sound like these "connections" were at exchange level (master exchange rather than satellite).

The usual suspects on the Be forum went into fanboi mode, but in reality (IIRC) this was simply an upgrade to a switch port on LINX (or ExchangePoint since L3 were their primary carrier). There is a world of difference (and cost) between a 10Gb/s peering link and a 10Gb/s backhaul from an exchange :)

I had hoped that when Telefonica (O2) took over then planning would improve. From what I'm reading here (and elsewhere) that doesn't seem to be the case :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »

Nope - forward planning IMHO is not their forte.
-----