Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: They're At It Again!  (Read 2032 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
They're At It Again!
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7718950.stm

The government have no idea how to combat underage drinking, binge drinking and all the related problems.

Easy solution:

Penalise everyone who drinks by making them pay more and then the Treasury will be in a sound state.
It won't stop the "young'uns" getting blathered but it will make some more revenue.

I think that the government have got just one peanut between them for a brain.

dave  >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: They're At It Again!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »

:no:

TBH I think its likely that the problem is actually deeper seated than 'just alcohol' and thats just the tip of the iceburg.   
The reality is that our society is getting much worse and certain sectors have no fear of authority - nor do they care what damage they inflict on others.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7718950.stm

The government have no idea how to combat underage drinking, binge drinking and all the related problems.

Easy solution:

Penalise everyone who drinks by making them pay more and then the Treasury will be in a sound state.
It won't stop the "young'uns" getting blathered but it will make some more revenue.

I think that the government have got just one peanut between them for a brain.

dave  >:(

Don't be so generous Dave.... a quarter is about all they have and that's crushed!!
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:40:55 PM »

I agree with you Kitz,  that the problem is more deep seated.  The price of alcohol and the length of time people are allowed to drink it isn't the crux.
Here, and elsewhere on the continent, alcohol is cheap and bars are open from early morning to early  the following morning.  It is attitudes that are different.  People  here don't go out in order to get drunk,  it's a social event.  They are accustomed from an early age to drinking (wine) with their meals and they are taught to respect alcohol. They are also taught to respect others, by parents, and civil responsibility is on the school  curriculum starting at primary school.       I've witnessed at first hand on a visit to the UK, whilst out one evening, last September, the consequences of groups of people, mostly young, and many young women who had drunk far too much,  and it was not a pretty sight.

Increasing prices will have little or no  effect;   increased  public responsibility should be a priority. 

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 01:01:19 PM »

What gets me is they allow 24-hour drinking and then wonder why there's a sudden increase in alcohol consumption, not to mention the related antisocial behaviour.

They're all morons.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »

Could not agree more with what you say Floydoid - It's not exactly BLOODY ROCKET SCIENCE is it ?

Bring back the Department of Common Sense, I say.

TTFN

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »

We'd have more chance of some common sense if they re-instated the Ministry of Silly Walks.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

anything