Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there any tool that...  (Read 9747 times)

Rahat

• Reg Member
Is there any tool that...
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:34:54 AM »

I can use to get my router to restart at a given time? Could i do this via telnet?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Is there any tool that...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »

How about a plug-in electronic timer with a couple of minutes turning off and then back on again.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »

Why do you want to turn it off?

If it is a 'MUST' that you turn it off then try this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMETU17.html

Advice varies from expert to expert (and us non-experts) as to whether ir is best to leave it on 24/7 or not, but I leave my Livebox on because our second phone line comes via it. Also, I think Orange said to leave it on for any software updates during the night.

dave

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »

From what I can gather it's probably a good idea to reboot the router once a fortnight or week. Although a router is running off complex software it's not as critical as as a pc although it's seems a good idea to give it the equivalent of a sleep and dream to avoid it becoming tetchy.

The other time to power off is if there's a thunderstorm on it's way. Anything with delicate electronics (unfortunately more and more now a days) that is PC's, laptops, routers, modern tv's dvd entertainment equipment etc. power off and physicaly unplug from both the mains and telephony.

Although your property may not get struck, the telephony and particuarly the mains acts like a huge net bringing the energy off a strike back home. Rural areas this is more critical as the same energy is disipated amongst less proertie so you get more energy comming through.

Surge protectors are best regarded as giving a 50:50 chance if enough energy comes through then it can be too much for the protector to cope and you still get equipment damage. Although it's better than nothing and it's a darn site easyer and chepper to replace a surge unit than all your lovely pc stuff & tv's etc.

certain parts of the country suffer more than others, East Anglia is quite bad in part because it's so flat! (although a few other causes contribute)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »

Ezzer,
Sound advice regarding the thunderstorms, but no amount of weather forecasting will enable him to set a timer for that event.  ;D

dave

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »

This is a good site to play with, at the moment Zeus seems to be holidaying in Malta

http://www.blitzortung.de/DF/Webpages/

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »

My router syncs at 8meg at like 12PM everyday and keeps sync for roughly one day and then will resync at 6 or 7PM at 6500kbps or so. As i won't always be home at 12PM (I'll be at school) i wont be able to restart the router at that time. I have asked my mum a few times but she is now fed up  ::). So is there any tool that i can use to make the router restart or resync at that time? Can't i integrate it as a setting or will i always have to keep my computer running for a software to stimulate the resync?

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

And what is PPP reconnect on the DMT tool?

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »

Also, isn't there a way to get the router to not resync - even if the throughput may decrease, for the O2 Thomson 585v7?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »

ok... to answer a couple of questions in order:

>> Can't i integrate it as a wetting or will i always have to keep my computer running for a software to stimulate the resync?

You'd always need your PC running. I think the lack of response about a suitable program is that I dont think such a thing exists. I would suggest a scheduled task that runs a telnet script, that I could knock up for you if I get chance.

>> And what is PPP reconnect on the DMT tool?

PPP isn't used on O2/Be broadband... but on most ISP's that require a username and password, it would be used to disconnect and reconnect from the ISP, WITHOUT causing a resync to the exchange. So that wouldn't help you anyway.

>> Isn't there a way to get the router to not resync?

Nope, not for ANY router I'm afraid. If the SNR goes too low, the router will resync. It's annoying, but that's how it is I'm afraid.
Chris

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »

>>>You'd always need your PC running. I think the lack of response about a suitable program is that I dont think such a thing exists. I would suggest a scheduled task that runs a telnet script, that I could knock up for you if I get chance.

If you could, please try to bro. So if you do manage to create the script will i have to keep PC on for it to run? If so, i'll be able to.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »

If you don't keep your PC on, then it won't work.

For around £10 for a digital timer, with your router plugged into it, then you would not have to have the PC on and it would switch off and back on at whatever time you set it for.
(And keeps your mom happy at not wasting the leccy)

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Accessories-SEC0955907-Compact-Digital/dp/B000Q7PVO2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226342897&sr=8-8

Is this alright?

Technical Details
Fuction 6am - 6pm
8 On/Off Programs
On/Auto/Off/Manual
12/24 Switchable
Summertime Settings

What does this mean?

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-mains-timer-socket-pack/dp/B000TBGWIO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226342897&sr=8-5

This one seems like a great offer, however, i wonder if the O2 Router plug will fit on to it as the front lcd screen bit is extended...

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »

I thought you were getting a D Link?

If so, you can use the monitoring feature in DMTv8 to resync if the SNR or Sync is too low.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-mains-timer-socket-pack/dp/B000TBGWIO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226342897&sr=8-5

This one seems like a great offer, however, i wonder if the O2 Router plug will fit on to it as the front lcd screen bit is extended...

Have a look at these:-
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9822911/Trail/searchtext%3ETIMER+SWITC.htm

They are almost identical and you would save on price and P&P!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather
Pages: [1] 2