Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday  (Read 2164 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Remembrance Sunday
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »

Because of Remembrance Sunday, tomorrow, I thought it worth posting some photos that show some of the horrors that our brave servicemen and women laid down their lives to prevent ever happening again.
I took these pictures at Lublin Concentration Camp in Poland.

It is only a short walk from the city centre and whilst walking along the road to it, crows in the trees were making their presence know with the usual squawking and cawing that they are renown for. I mention this because once inside the area of the Camp, the birds were still flying over but were silent, not even the sound of their wings was heard. It was very eerie.

The dome on the horizon is a modern day addition which covers the large mound of ashes from the cremating ovens.

As we got nearer, the top of the mound of ashes became visible:

These pictures do not need any further descriptions.

Please pause tomorrow to remember the dead of all sides in all wars.

Thank you.

dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Remembrance Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »

Dear me Dave, those are sobering pictures. :(
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

Sobering indeed.
A terrible indictment of the human race.

As to the mute birds flying over the site, I have heard of that before....................your comment is so well illustrated by scottiesmum here...http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3443.0...........      where after her visit to such a site she wrote in her journal........"the silence screamed"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »

Harrowing pictures.  :(
It is always moving to watch the march past at the Cenotaph on rememberance sunday.
As a child at Christmas I always remember my grandad writing on the mirror  'A merry Christmas to all and absent friends'  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »

Dave I must admit I looked at those pictures earlier and didnt comment.

Various thoughts ran through my mind at the horrors that occured there.   
The pics are a very thought provoking "2 minute silence".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »

What terrible suffering has gone on in this world and still does though hopefully not to that extent... but do we know that?  I agree what harrowing pictures those are Dave, brings a little of the horrors forward in time, we have to thank god we haven't experienced what the poor souls endured and those who watched.  How anyone could ever erase such scenes and knowledge from their minds is impossible I should think.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »

Please pause tomorrow to remember the dead of all sides in all wars.

That is quite true..  and also makes me think of something that TD said in the other thread.

Men fight the battles..  but its the so called leaders that devise the plans.. 
Its whom ever came up with such horrendous crimes such as this.. and makes you wonder just how they got into power and a position of authority to be able to implement something like that.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »

Thought provoking pictures indeed Dave.

My local newsagent was telling me that some kids came in the shop the other day and saw the poppies & collecting tin, and had to ask their parents 'what's that for?'.  What do they teach the youngsters these days?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:47:31 PM »

I went with my family on a package holiday to Krakow over christmas some years back. Several coach loads and we were the only Polish family there.

I went on the trip to Wieliczka salt mines and then on to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

There was about 27 on this part of the trip if memory serves. About half way through the tour as people had enough and one by one peeled off the tour back to the coach the translators became too overcome as well. I was struggleing to translate instead which is probably what stopped me from being overcome to the end.

Those pictures brought it back, I'ld recomend any one who has the oppertunity to go on such a tour to try it. One thing to read about this in books or watch documantaries but the realizaion of the enormity of the event is really brought home by being there for real.

The old brick barracks have different "artifacts" on display there, every one finds something there that particuarly strikes them

An old series I Loved was  Jacob Bronowski's The Ascent of Man and this particular clip at the end sums up a drive of human conflict as well as anything else I can think of.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hAg0anPwWbM&feature=related

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:42:16 AM »

Wow  :no:
Paul

anything