Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: genuine or nasty link ?  (Read 9656 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Re: genuine or nasty link ?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:37:52 PM »

2. Pull the power lead out.

Under no circumstances ever do that whilst the PC is working, not unless you want to risk turning your tower unit into toast.

As for the original point in this thread, I'm pretty sure that anything like that is likely to be kosher when it happens on a reputable site such as the times online.  However, with all the rogue scanners out there we've all learned to be ultra cautious with stuff like that, so instinct should tell you to ignore them.  As a general rule I never pursue anything like that, I just click the cancel and mutter the odd rude word to myself.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »

2. Pull the power lead out.

Under no circumstances ever do that whilst the PC is working, not unless you want to risk turning your tower unit into toast.
Come on, modern power supplies are better than that.  ;)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »

That's not the point.  I don't want potentially disastrous advice being propagated on a well respected technical advice forum. 

Mods, please correct me if I'm wrong.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »

Floydy, you are right, it's not recommended. But mainly for the sake of the integrity of data on the disk, it would be very unlikely this would physically damage any hardware inside the computer. Modern hard drives are less susceptible to head crashes nowadays, and NTFS is actually a pretty robust filesystem and rarely gets trashed of its own accord!

To be honest, I'd say it's a safe bet that there are countless computers in the world that get switched off every single day, several times a day, in this way.

I have personally witnessed too many people clicking Shut Down, then turning off the power immediately without waiting for the computer to switch itself off!

But no, it's not the recommended course of action especially if you simply happen to bump into a popup window you don't like!!
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »

>> Pull the power lead out.
Actually there is a BIG difference from simply switching off the PC rather than "Pulling the power lead out."
Switching off the PC is/will give a clean break of the contacts terminals whereas pulling the plug may not.

Think about it, how many time have you plugged or unplugged something and heard that little "crack" ?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »

Yes, fair point OF, and something I didn't think about... although probably this is more likely when plugging something in due to the fact people tend to unplug things a lot quicker than they plug them in.

So whilst not recommended, I presume it's still unlikely to permanently damage the PSU, isn't it? But I'm not an electronics expert, so am not really sure just how damaging this could be!
Chris

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 11:11:32 PM »

Oh dear, you do all take things too seriously/literally don't you.  ;)

It's a balance of risks/probabilities isn't it?
Most PC's have "soft" off switches, so if something is looking dangerous (e.g. one of those web pages that spawns at an uncontrollable rate) you need to be decisive and they most definitely aren't.
Switch off at the mains, or if (as if often the case) the switch isn't easily accessible, pull the mains lead out.

Use common sense (and don't take yourself too seriously).  :P

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »

Lol... I am fully aware your original comment was intended flippantly ... Floydy's comment just spurred me into thinking way too deeply about it :D

I'm sad like that :P
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »

HP,
The main problem is, if it was in the Joke section then probably we would all be saying the same.

The only problem I see is because it's between a members question, and should anyone be silly enough not to read the whole post and stop when they reached that point they may think it's ok to do that.
There again, they would then not be reading this bit.  :lol:

My point being, when a break occurs, if it's not a clean break, then there's the possibility of a "spike" being sent around the system.  :comp:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »

I took it as being a joke  :P
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »

All PC hardware should be tolerant of a break in the mains feed otherwise failures during electrical storms would be much more common. And pulling the plug out just simulates a mains loss. If you need to switch off quicker than the "soft off" from the "On" button that's what you would do. You would be unlucky if a disk write was occurring at the same time but it could happen. As has already been suggested you have to make a judgement at the time.
Tony

scottiesmum

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »

Just leave the thing on .. save all that pressing of buttons  ;D   AND at least I wouldn't get my infernal  'turn off to install important updates'  message  :lol:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »

I was just worried that a novice reading that could be mislead... after all (as I understand it) people come to this forum for good advice.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 10:35:07 AM »

It may have been flippant and (mostly) a joke, but...
when needs must and in extremis, I'd do it. (And I have in the past) It's a balance of risk.  :police:

OK then, who's never taken the battery out of a "hung" laptop that won't shut down?  8)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »

When push comes to shove, i.e. on the odd occasion when XP locks up, I switch off by holding the power button in for 5 seconds

OK then, who's never taken the battery out of a "hung" laptop that won't shut down?

I haven't for one, but then again I've never owned a laptop... tho I am currently thinking of getting an older modest spec laptop to run Linux on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything