Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: genuine or nasty link ?  (Read 9657 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
genuine or nasty link ?
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »

Whilst reading my e-newspaper just now, this wee green box popped up.

Is this genuine or a nasty would you think ?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: genuine or nasty link ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

If in doubt, leave well alone

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »

TD,  I've just been reading the Independent On-line and had the very same box pop up  ....  I just clicked the X  :)    Strange thing is it says  UK Internet User Monitor  ... I'm not in the UK and neither is the Independent on-line, it's in the Netherlands   ???

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »

Yes, it is a nasty without doubt.
I don't even click on the shut down X after having read some time ago that that click can sometimes invite as much trouble as clicking the link in the middle of the text.
If such a box opens up, I usually just go back to my homepage and try again later...........but in this case it is still there.  :'(

Here I am trying to read about world shattering events such as the closure of a brewery  :cry2: and cant see the juicy bits for a silly green box blocking my view.  >:(

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »

TD,
It is more than likely genuine and not a threat but you were right to query it and close the popup.

This is Forrester's site:
http://www.forrester.com/Products/MarketResearch/Consumer/UKIUM

They do a lot of 'customer research', but in todays climate of trojans and viruses, you would think that they would come up with a better idea for asking people to take part, rather than slamming a popup in their face.

dave

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »

I don't even click on the shut down X after having read some time ago that that click can sometimes invite as much trouble as clicking the link in the middle of the text.

:o :o   Oh  lawdy lawdy  I hope I don't get more strange messages !! :D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »

Yes, it is a nasty without doubt.
You're almost certainly 100% wrong there. 8)
It's probably genuine, but if in doubt or not interested then ignore it.
If you've got decent protection on your PC you should be fine anyway.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »

Dave, thank you for the explanation.
As you say, we are all warned off pop-ups and told time and again never never click on a link that we don't recognise or are suspicious of, and yet this company are spending their time putting up something that looks so suspicious that the wary are simply going to turn  away from it

Scottiesmum, don't worry.............there is no more room on your PC for more strange messages, your hard drive is already chock-a-block with them.  :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »

:lol:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »

Just been onto Forrester's site and in the contact page, it is a major problem just trying to send them a message.
You are supposed to be a company so they want all the tripe of Company Name, Your position  and job title etc etc.

This is what I have sent them:

The popup that is appearing on peoples screens asking if they would take part in the above survey is causing concern amongst internet users.
We are receiving questions as to whether it is a virus or trojan on our forum:
 http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3433.0
Perhaps you should rethink how you present the request for information so that you do not alarm people. They may then be willing to take part in your questionaires.
Dave m
ps. Having had to complete the list of information below, most of it does not apply to me as I am an individual not a company, so please ignore the info below, I had to complete something to get your computer to take my message.

Will post back any reply I receive.

dave

I will not disclose what I completed in the company name etc boxes. But you may see me as one of the Dragons in the Dragons Den next series.  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:49:54 PM by dave.m »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »

No its not malware.

TBH this seems a current trend of late for large sites to undertake surveys to get demographic details of the users that read their pages.   Over the past few weeks or so I seem to have been presented with many similar types of messages.. including M$, PC world, checking my vodafone bill and even BT, but theres also been several more.

The companies used by sites to gather the information can vary and there are a few big players in the industry.  Whether or not I do them depends on the time involved, if I can be bothered, how much I trust the site asking for the info... and finally if theres anything in it for me.  For eg Vodafone gave me £5 for completing the one I did on their site via ICM research.
If I cant be bothered or dont trust the site I just close the box.

This type of research can either be for getting information about their customers to see which type of users they attract..  or it may be asking for feedback on how the site may be improved. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »

If they referred to the actual site that you are visiting it wouldn't be so bad.
I sometimes get one when I am on the HP Printer site but it is worded from HP and so you know what it is all about before clicking.

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »

Yes I totally understand where you're coming from.   That Box does nothing to imply that its an official survey conducted for the times.  :/

They've used a bog standard box that they probably use for all their surveys - it would be so much better if they had made a very slight tweak to say "The Timesonline is taking part" rather than the generic "this site".
That way it would be clearer that it was coming from and authorised by the site you are visiting - rather than looking like a pop-up that could have appeared from anywhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »

Sometimes it's possible to close the window from the "Information bar" the one that's "usually" on the bottom of the PC with the clock on it.

Normally if it's set to be hidden then we don't always notice it, but if it is there, Right click and select close Close.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »

If in any doubt:
1. Kill it with Task Manager, or
2. Pull the power lead out.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything