Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problem with new windows live messenger  (Read 5641 times)

jodielee

• Just arrived
Problem with new windows live messenger
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:40 AM »

Hi, I am new to the site and just wondered if anyone could help please. I have a hotmail email address, have had it since 2006, however I logged on yesterday and it has been updated to some kind of new version, I wasn't given an option on this, it's just been done and thats that. There is no option for me to switch back to the classic version either.  >:(
The problem is I am now unable to access my email, I can view my inbox but not actually open, delete or start any new emails. No error message occurs, just nothing at all happens when trying to select a message etc. This is driving me crazy as I use this account for everything, so would need to re-reister membership for many sites etc if I have to set up a new mail address. I have tried using the windows help page, and checked my screen resolution (i have an IBM ThinkPad T42) but this is fine, I also have Internet Explorer 7 so cannot think what the problem is, checked all network and browser settings and just cannot figure out what's going on.

Please help!  :(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Problem with new windows live messenger
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »

Hello, jodielee, and welcome to the forums  :)

Now this is interesting, and although I am by no means an expert I will try what I can.

You say that you have Internet Explorer 7...............are you accessing Windows Live Hotmail through that or through another browser ?
A lot of people, including me, are having the same problem using other browsers in that we can access our inbox but thereafter all links on the page are unresponsive to the mouse, including trying to open mails.
Although I have that problem using Opera, the site works correctly when I use IE.

Microsoft has stated ( I have lost the link) that they intend that only IE, Safari and some versions of Firefox will be able to access the site.............. :-X

There are various suggested workarounds on the different browser help forums, but none are working properly.  :(

If, however, you are using IE and it is still not working for you then that is first instance of that error that I have seen.
Again, if you are using IE, is you Java up to date, do you have problems on any other site
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:02:49 PM by tuftedduck »

jodielee

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »

hi tuftedduck,

I am accessing it through internet explorer 7, I left feedback about the problem on the microsoft site, but apparently they can not reply to comments directly, so this doesn't hlp me. Veru frustrating!
Juts don't know what to do now?

jodielee

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »

Ps...I am not very technical, any tips on how to check my Java is up to date? i have noticed when trying to access hotmail that 'javascript;' sometimes appears on the bottom left of the screen? (where the loading bar usually appears)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »

If you go to settings / control panel, click on the java icon and go to the update tab.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »

Sun Java have a couple of handy links to check and see if you have the latest version and if its working properly.

To check if you have java and/or if you have the latest version installed use
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1

To test if the Java Machine (JVM) is working properly on your PC go to
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml?ff3

>> that 'javascript;' sometimes appears on the bottom left of the screen? (where the loading bar usually appears)

If you are refering to a little yellow triangle..  then that indicates that there is a problem with the scripting on the website you are visiting.  Java and Javascript arent the same thing - despite the similarity in their name. 
If it is a javascript error, then theres not much you can do about that, as its a problem of the site you are visiting (they have errors in their page code).

*Assuming that you have javascript turned on - which you must have otherwise your browser shouldnt report its having a problem parsing the code.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »

Unfortunately as Kitz says, Java is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Javascript on your browser.

It's a long shot, and I don't know if it'll work, but perhaps reinstalling Windows Script might fix something if there's a weird issue. I had to do it once and it fixed a lot of annoying scripting errors I had in my browser.

Linky (just download and install the package from that page)

Obviously make sure Javascript is actually enabled in your browser (Tools / Internet Options / Security Tab - Custom Level ... scroll down towards the bottom of that list and see if Active Scripting is set to Enable or not)

Hope this helps :)
Chris