Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not Solved - Problem with mapped network drives not reconnected at boot up on XP  (Read 9545 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!

@rizla -

not too sure what you are asking as, to the best of my knowledge, I have never actually done anything to cause mapping of these drives. I think it's all done by Windows XP - or am I wrong. In addition to the two memory card slots on my HP OfficeJet, I also have a multi card reader attached via USB. Each of those show up as removable drives F:, G:, H: and I:, whereas the OfficeJet one shows up as 'memory card on HPxxxxxxxxxxxx Z:' (xxxxxxxxxxxx is the Ethernet address of the Officejet printer). I've never inserted a memory card into either slot in the OfficeJet, and I only actually power the printer up when I intend to do any printing; maybe that's related to my  problem.

I sure would like to know for sure though, as I don't like things happening which can't be explained, in other words I don't like YYGTs.

TTFN

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Pwiggler

• Kitizen

toulouse - do you get this problem the next reboot after using your printer??

if you do it because xp has found the 'drives' (card reader) on the printer and is expecting to see them on the next boot.

if the printer is off then obviously xp wont find the drives??
Paul

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!

Hey pwiggler, that could well be the problem. It's not a big deal for me, but I will conduct a small test and come back and let you know the outcome.

TTFN

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Yes I think we have different problems as my disks are on another PC not a printer.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Pwiggler

• Kitizen

broadstairs - system restore back to a time when it worked ok, test, then keep an eye on what M$ updates are being installed??
Paul

I doubt that will work as I remember seeing this problem first around the time Windows 2000 came out, so I reckon the updates are a red herring....

jabns

• Reg Member

I would first check for services that sound like they may have something to do with networking or authentication that are set to manual and try setting them to automatic and see if that makes it work (start > run > services.msc). If its the same problem I used to have one of the services was set to manual but when I double clicked the drive it would reconect because it enabled the service.

It might also be a group policy setting that some software has enabled(I will have a quick search now). Did you install any software before this happened like AV or Firewall in particular?

Anne r

What about the SSDP Discovery Service, Looks for Universal Plug and Play drives on your network

...set start up type to automatic.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything