Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not Solved - Problem with mapped network drives not reconnected at boot up on XP  (Read 9539 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

On my XP system just recently I have found that my mapped network drives have recently stopped reconnecting at boot up. This seems to have happen in the past week or so probably since doing a Windows Update. I know that there was a recent fix for some high risk problem which I think (if memory serves me) was network related. Has anyone else seen this? Prior to this I've not had any problems withn the drives reconnecting at logon.

Update - turned out that somehow the option in 'Folder Options - View - Automatically search for network folders and printers' had been turned off. Now its on all is OK and drives reconnect at boot/logon.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:37:26 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Glad you found out what it was :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen

This moring I discovered that my networked drives had NOT been reconnected. Yesterday I did reboot and they came back just fine but this morning after boot up they were strill disconnected. The Folder option was still set just as it should be. Still puzzling....

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!

Don't know if this is the same problem, but.........

I sometimes get a similar message about Windows being unable to attach Network drives which relate to the memory card slots in my HP OfficeJet printer.

As far as I can recall, I have NEVER used those memory card slots, so I don't know why it's an ISSUE for Windows, temperamental B*tch that she is.

I also don't like to point the finger, but I think I'm right in saying that this first started after I had tried (unsuccessfully) to install XP SP3, as did a number of other strange things on my system.

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Anne r

Check the Workstation service is running ok, -start up type automatic
 :)

Also, have read that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service could help ..... if not running start it, -- set startup type as automatic too.

Hope it helps,

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Check the Workstation service is running ok, -start up type automatic
 :)

Also, have read that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service could help ..... if not running start it, -- set startup type as automatic too.

Hope it helps,

Both started and set on automatic already, and no it still does not work.

I'm convinced SP3 changed something because it always did work for ages....

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!

Yes, I also think it's SOMETHING that has happened since I first tried to install SP3.

It's not actually causing me a problem as such, but it would be nice to know how to stop it happening.

I think it's a YYGT !!!!

TTFN

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

broadstairs

• Kitizen

YYGT !!!!

Its a long time since I've seen that phrase being used..... first heard it over 30 years ago and yes it was in IT  ;D

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!

Yes, IT is my background as well. I worked in Data Processing / IT (same thing basically) at NatWest between 1970 to 1991.

YYGT was a term used by the the real techies when there was a problem for which they didn't have an immediate answer, and as some of you may be aware it stands for 'Yeah, You Get That'. Not sure, but I suspect it may have been an IBM'ism along the same lines as 'FUBAR'.
I think many of the issues with Windows could be described as YYGTs, certainly this network drive reattachment thing is one of them. Would be nice to know how to resolve it though.

TTFN

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Yes, IT is my background as well. I worked in Data Processing / IT (same thing basically) at NatWest between 1970 to 1991.

YYGT was a term used by the the real techies when there was a problem for which they didn't have an immediate answer, and as some of you may be aware it stands for 'Yeah, You Get That'. Not sure, but I suspect it may have been an IBM'ism along the same lines as 'FUBAR'.
I think many of the issues with Windows could be described as YYGTs, certainly this network drive reattachment thing is one of them. Would be nice to know how to resolve it though.

TTFN

Well that's interesting I worked for IBM from 1966 to 2002 when they made me an offer I could not refuse, and during that time one of the client's I worked with extensively on and off was Nat West, mainly in London but I did visit Kegworth on more than one occasion! I remember we often used the YYGT phrase in technical review meetings when appropriate.  ;D

Pwiggler

• Kitizen

have you tried deleting the network drives and recreating them??
Paul

broadstairs

• Kitizen

have you tried deleting the network drives and recreating them??

Yes, more than once.....

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!

Ok Stuart, let's try and get to the bottom of this annoying problem. As you may have gathered, I also get this problem occasionally, and as far as I can recall it started after I had tried to install XP SP3. The network drives concerned on my system are two memory card slots built into my HP Officejet printer. My system is a Packard Bell Imedia 1208 (or something like that). In my case, it doesn't appear to cause a major problem because if I look at My Computer after system startup the memory card on HP shows as available / active.

As I said, I get this problem from time to time, with no discernible pattern, hence my earlier suggestion that it was a YYGT.

TTFN

Mick

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Mick probably 80% or more of the time the drives which are hard disks on another PC which runs 24x7 using W2K, I'm sure all this started after SP3 or perhaps a subsequent M$ update and now usually show as disconnected. They always used to come up OK.  They also active OK as soon as I click on them. I noticed the problem when an application failed because they were no there. I've bypassed the problem with the application by specifying them as network drives rather than their connected drive ID letter. I've tried all sorts of things to get them to come up. One thing which has been suggested is that the network comes up too late in the boot process for them to reconnect, but always in the past when either network or rarely the other PC was not there and pretty sure I used to have had a message from XP saying do you want to reconnect these drives next time.

Right now I cannot think of anything else to try.

Do you actually need them mapped or is it just for convenience?

I only ask as I realised last year that I was mapping drives out of habit rather than necessity (can't remember the last time a program actually needed a drive letter) and yes I used to get the same intermittent problem.

If its just for convenience then just create a shortcut to the network path on the desktop - or create a folder on the desktop with all the shortcuts in it, which is what I do for media files stored on the network.
Pages: [1] 2