Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Strange message when closing down !  (Read 14076 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Strange message when closing down !
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »

I've just looked at something on the list I've posted ....   I KNOW I installed SP3 on my machine ..... all those updates refer to SP2  ??    :cry2: :swoon:

am I in a bigger mess than I thought ??  :'(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »

Did you remember to click the box to "Show Updates" in Add or Remove just above the top of the list?
Although I think you are possibly getting carried away with trying to find it instead of just letting it install.

Have you tried just selecting the install option when closing down ?

scottiesmum

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »

OF ..you are so patient !     Yes, I have chosen the install and close down option, and it installed and closed down ... but following that I still have the same message each time I turn off the machine.    AND  ....  I ALWAYS click install when the yellow shield appears.

As everything else seems to be OK ...and MS assure me I have all the updates ....  don't bother yourself any more  ... !! THANK YOU so much ...   I'll will have to be really rude now and leave all this, because we have people arriving for aperitifs  !!!!  so I'd better get pouring  ...   most grateful ...just hope it "goes away"   :no:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »

>>> I'm getting so confused now <<< Could you put Scotty on the line please.  :D

Some updates go right into the core of the system and cannot be uninstalled as individual items...........presumably then they do not appear in the add/remove list.

I suggest you follow the advice from OF , then look again in a fresh mind tomorrow if the message has appeared at close down tonight.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »

1.  ... but following that I still have the same message each time I turn off the machine.

2. AND  ....  I ALWAYS click install when the yellow shield appears.

1. Some updates have to be installed individually so it may appear 2 or 3 times (although this is not very often)
2. Don't bother with the yellow shield, doubtfully though but it may be confusing matters.

Mines a G&T no ice just a slice of lime.  :drink:

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »

I'm back  !!   but not going to do anything further on this tonight ... taking TD's advice and looking at it with 'new eyes' tomorrow.   I can't cope with this AND the US election !   :no:

Thank you OF for all the information ...and hope you enjoyed the G&T   ;D

Bonne Nuit ! 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

>> Bonne Nuit !

Was that another strange message when closing down? :lol:
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:21 AM »

:P ;D  Eric  ...   you are just looking fora permanent place in the NC  !  :whip:

This morning I had the yellow shield again   ... the download in this instance was  MS  XML Core Services 4.0    Service Pack 2  KB936181  Update 1 of 1 ....  so I clicked install...     I've checked in the Add/Remove section and this new update is listed.  I have not yet turned off  again to see if infernal message is still there  ..  it was when I switched off last night  ::)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »

Bonjour.....I hope you did not toss and turn all last night thinking about this.

One wee thought, if the b****** message is still there next time you turn off/on try the install option again but this time, immediately before clciking the install button, switch off your AV and firewall progs, see if that helps. (Don't forget to turn on again next restart.....as if you would  ;) )

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »

Kate that seems like it's quite an old update.... if push comes to shove, you could download the setup file and install it manually.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=021e12f5-cb46-43df-a2b8-185639ba2807&DisplayLang=en
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 10:55:38 PM »

Kate.. just a quick question, perhaps a stupid one actually... but have you actually clicked the "Shut down and Install updates" button, rather than the "Turn off without installing" link? I'm thinking that should clear whatever it thinks it needs to install...

Or am I over-simplifying things? ;)
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »

Mr.Chris,  yes I've done both, several times   :'(     I tried TD's suggestion   (thank you)  of turning off the AV and Firewall before "shutting down and install" option, but still had same message on closing   :shrug2: :shrug2:   I'm now going to look at Floydy's link ( thank you) to see if I can work out what he means  ;D 

I'll keep you all posted  ..........that means I'll be back to nag you all again  ;D

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:50:44 AM by scottiesmum »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »

I'm now going to look at Floydy's link ( thank you) to see if I can work out what he means  ;D 

... many have tried but few have succeeded.  ???

Actually all you have to do is click the download link on that page for the file to arrive in your download folder (or wherever you d/l your stuff to).  Once it's done, double click on the file and it will install itself.  It may request you re-boot to complete the installation.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »

I'm sure you must all be bored with this ...  :-\ but I think I am slowly going mad ....  :silly:

The Yellow install shield is permanently on the task bar  !!   I press install and it twiddles and finishes and then re-appears.

The offending update   KB936181  appears on my  "download history page on the Windows Update site" no less than 17 times as being successfully installed  !!

When I go to check for downloads ....  I'm told I'm set for automatic downloads, SO,  I switched that off, went back to check and it said I had one recommended download   ..... KB936181    :crazy:   I let it install yet again !

The yellow shield is still there   .....  I'm getting quite paranoid about it now :o  .....  and the message is still there when I go to Turn Off.   

I've looked at more FAQ's, Troubleshooting and other pages than I can list  and I'm still lost as to what to do.

I DID find the log as per TD's suggestion (the \ and / were the wrong way around hence original problem finding it)  and I have found this at today's date :-

2008-11-06   12:48:46:812   1100   da8   Report   REPORT EVENT: {3BDA642A-E836-4FC0-9E37-4F0028FF9F86}   2008-11-06 12:48:41:812+0100   1   183   101   {2B0B2515-192D-470A-9745-4A3FB7C02030}   105   0   MicrosoftUpdate   Success   Content Install   Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

:-X :'( :no:  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh  !      Can I  safely  delete this  darn update and start again ??   
 If so, how  ?  .....A BIG Thank you to all who are persevering  :)

Since posting this  I have turned off computer ... message STILL there  .... when I switch on yellow shield is NOT showing...  I click on Turn Off and message is NOT there  ...THEN  I connect to the internet ... Yellow shield appears,  back to Turn Off message is there again  ?? 

PS.  Would it help (anyone) if I posted an excerpt from the Log  ??

I think I've scared everyone off  !!   ;D     I've been looking at the Log and also at an MS page that explains how to look at the log.  Put in the KB936181 in Find and it came up with this  ....2008-11-06   13:28:13:953   1116   df0   Report   REPORT EVENT: {E24FCB5D-7C2A-44A2-AF85-3683D5FC8A97}   2008-11-06 13:28:07:968+0100   1   188   102   {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}   0   0   Automatic Updates   Success   Content Install   Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Friday, November 07, 2008 at 10:00 AM: - Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

I have the Automatic Updater set for checking every day at 10 am  ...  SO  I have just changed that to 14.00 to see if the installation takes place any time now ??  I'm not sure if this will cure it - will be back soon ... my only query here is why does it not know it's already installed ???
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:55:38 PM by scottiesmum »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »

Not being a Windows person I may be speaking out of turn, but can you uninstall the update and delete the downloaded files, then start again?
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything