Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strange message when closing down !  (Read 14071 times)

scottiesmum

Strange message when closing down !
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

This has happened for about a fortnight !!! I know that's a while ago, but I didn't give it much thought .. however NOW it's starting to aggravate me !

When I turn off the machine I get this message....CLICK TURN OFF TO INSTALL IMPORTANT UPDATES AND TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER. CLICK HERE TO TURN OFF WITHOUT INSTALLING UPDATES.

I have ALL the Windows updates, I've checked and double checked ..so I am baffled .... is there something I should do ?

Thank you in advance....

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Strange message when closing down !
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »

It would appear that you have your PC set for automatic download of MS patches, but with the option to install them manually rather than auto install.
The message seems to indicate that that one or more patches has not downloaded properly.

If you go back to the MS Update site through IE>tools>Windows Update then look at the "review update history" page, it may highlight something that has not come down properly.

ps that roseway keeps moving you around, doesn't he ?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:11:21 PM by tuftedduck »

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Thanks for that TD   ....  I've checked the download history as far back as it goes  19th March 2008 and every one has a green tick and is marked update successful .... I actually have it set for automatic update and download, I know this is not popular with some people, but I've always done it and this is the first 'obvious' blip   :'(  strange isn't it  ....

(anyway, now that I've found my way back to the NC  ...  I think secretly Eric wanted it for himself because it's so nice, he's tried to confuse me  ;D )

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

Roseway relaxing by himself in the French NC

Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »

:lol:

and he's doesn't look very bothered about my problem  :-X

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

He's a moderator and believes in the maxim about rank having it's privileges.  :D

One or more of your updates has been corrupted somewhere between the update server and you......and has not installed properly.
Can you go back to the start of the problem and identify which updates occurred at that time ?
If you can, can you uninstal them and try a re-download/instal

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »

:'( :'(   I honestly can't remember when I first noticed the message TD  .....  is there any way to check if a download is corrupted or not ??  (will it have an oversized navy blue overcoat on for example  ;D )  .........  oooooooooooo it's at times like this I wish I knew what I was doing  ::)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »

:'( :'(   I honestly can't remember when I first noticed the message TD  .....  is there any way to check if a download is corrupted or not ??  (will it have an oversized navy blue overcoat on for example  ;D )  .........  oooooooooooo it's at times like this I wish I knew what I was doing  ::)

Kate, have you tried going to the MS updates page and running a manual update?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »

Hello Floydy ...   I did that this morning, it tells me I have my updates set for auto ... however,  there was an update available which I did manually.     I've been having a little look around and found this advice  ....  should I follow it  ??

"If you get a corrupted or incomplete download from Windows Update, it can indeed cause big trouble. Most problems with automatic update downloads can be solved using this simple routine. From the Start menu's Run dialog, launch Services.msc. In the resulting list find the item named Automatic Updates. Double-click it to open its Properties and click the Stop button, then leave the Properties window open.

Launch Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows, and find the folder named SoftwareDistribution. Rename this folder SoftwareDistribution.old. Now go back to that Properties window and click the Start button to restart the Automatic Updates service. That should clear up the problem. At the next automatic update your system will receive the necessary files, and this time, we can hope, they'll be complete and uncorrupted."

:-\

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »

Before doing that, have a look in your update log............it may give you an idea as to chronological events.

Click Start, and then click Run.
   In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »

It sounds like good advice Kate. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »

..CLICK TURN OFF TO INSTALL IMPORTANT UPDATES AND TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER.

I have ALL the Windows updates, I've checked and double checked ..so I am baffled .... is there something I should do ?

The problem is that the update has already been downloaded to your PC and is now waiting for you to install it.
You should see a "Yellow Shield" next to the clock (notification area) just "right click" it and select install etc.

The best thing to do is just except the install notice, then after the install and probably PC re-start change the auto update to whatever you want.
Then the message will not appear again.

Although I believe you can remove the update but, it's best to just install it.

Because this update has already been downloaded, MS update probably does not recognise it as a new update.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »

I tried your advice TD  but %windir%\windowsupdate.log,  gave me the message that Windows could find this  ... then I tried it without the % bits  ::)  ...same message, then without the comma after log ... still same message   ..... 

OF  .. thank you for that .... there was a yellow shield this morning and I clicked on to install it and it said it had installed successfully...  I was surprised after this that I still get the message at turn off  !!   I'm going to check the list of updates and will post a screen shot  .... merci  encore !

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 05:07:57 PM »

Click Start, and then click Run.
   In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK.
Kate you do not need to remove the % bits.

Yes I know you removed your post (don't know how) but ..........
Either that or your last post has dissapeared..

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

edit
In which case just select the install option from the shutdown screen when it appears.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:10:30 PM by oldfogy »

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »

I'm getting so confused now  ..    sorry ...    OK  I've tried the Run advice from TD ..  I've copy and pasted it again and I still get  th Windows can't find  .. message..     another strange thing .. I have the 'show updates' on the Add/Remove programme facility ... BUT when I look at the updates that have supposedly been installed ( according to the Windows update page) they don't correspond  !!    for example 

none of these are shown as updates on the Add/Remove list ...   is it just that not all updates are included on the Add Remove section  ??   
Pages: [1] 2 3