Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: no adsl singnal?  (Read 4312 times)

simonM

• Just arrived
no adsl singnal?
« on: January 15, 2007, 11:23:30 AM »

I'm trying to setup an adsl connection for a long suffering friend. The provider is talktalk.  He has the modem/software and the line supposedly 'went live' in September.

I have tried connecting with:
the adsl modem and software provided by talktalk
several different microfilters 
my own adsl modem router
the master phone socket
all other phone sockets
all phones plunged in, unplugged and every other combination i can think of

The first problem is that i'm unable to get an ADSL signal, my adsl router shows 'no carrier' on the diagnostics page. The dsl light on the supplied modem does not light. Talktalk insist  that the line has been setup correctly and there is an ADSL signal.

The only odd thing I have found is a large BT branded socket (not the master socket) with what appears to be a built-in microfilter!  It has 'ADSL v1.0' on the front of it. It is connected to the same phone line and also does not provide an ADSL signal. I have not seen a socket like this before. When talktalk was originally setup BT had to clear the line so the house has had broadband in the past.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what my next move should be?

Thanks in advance.

SimonM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: no adsl singnal?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum.

It sounds pretty certain that the internal wiring is the cause of the problem. The BT socket with 'ADSL v1.0' on it sounds like a filtered master socket faceplate. Is this faceplate split horizontally, the lower part being separately removable?

If you're certain that this isn't the master socket, does the actual master socket have a similar split faceplate, i.e. an NTE5 type of socket? Whichever one of the two is the master, I suggest that you try removing it and connecting the router to the test socket inside. This should eliminate all the internal wiring from the connection, and if you then get an ADSL signal it would confirm that the wiring is the problem.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »

Hi Simon and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about the problems you have with TT.

From what you say you have tried all that you can possibly do from your end...  aside from double checking roseways good advice and making sure that you have tested from the master socket.
There should hopefully be a test socket behind the master socket which you can also try.
Details http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

However, Yours is not the first case where TT have simply refused to believe that adsl is not working, despite evidence to the contrary.
My own brother moved over to TT in Oct and has had similar problems. Despite doing all the usual modems, master socket etc he just could not obtain sync with the exchange, previously he had a perfectly good connection with another adsl provider.
TT refused to believe there was no sync and Ive lost track of the no of new routers that they sent out...  worse was he was even without even a landline for several weeks, as they also managed to take that out too. :/

The problem seems to be getting TT to believe there is no sync on the line.

>> Talktalk insist  that the line has been setup correctly and there is an ADSL signal.

Challenge them how they have asserted there is an adsl signal - if they do their equivalent of the BT Woosh test, then they should be able to easily see that you havent been able to sync.

In view of the fact this has now been dragging on so long, your only alternative would be to insist that you arent getting the product that they were contracted to provide therefore you wish to terminate your contract and go with another provider.
They will try and bill you for an early termination fee.. but stand firm that you havent received any service and they havent fulfilled their side of the contract, therefore you are under no obligation to be bound by the T+C's

All of the instances Ive seen where this has occured has been where TT have moved users over to LLU, so you will have to do a full cease and reprovide to clear your line.
If you have problems getting them to clear the line then theres info at the bottom of this page how to do this.
ISP tag still on your line.

Hopefully you can now convince them that you have had enough and they may pull out their finger and actually do something before you have to resort to a full cease.

Good Luck.

>> with what appears to be a built-in microfilter! 

Possibly the BT equivalent of one of these
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_secondary.htm
which the previous occupants may have paid BT to install.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

simonM

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies.

The master socket is hard wired, no internal socket. The large 'BT adsl' box (in the back bedroom) has a section that can be unscrewed (left hand side) which contains the adsl socket and what looks like microfilter electronics. The  right hand side is a hard wired phone socket.

I get the feeling this is the unit that might be causing the problems. Can I just cut the cable to remove it from the system?

SimonM 

Update: I now have photos of the sockets: http://www.iscaoutdoor.eclipse.co.uk/adsl/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 05:22:49 PM by simonM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »

Hi

Im not a phone engineer but that box to me looks like a standard BT NTE5 box for a master socket. (pic 2 on this page).

I therefore suspect that that box may have been added as per the following
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm

edited to add
clarity used to sell these boxes (item 2) http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html
so whether its been installed by the previous occupant or BT I couldnt say.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:55:23 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

Hi simonM,

By the looks of the wiring and the fact that it is a BT branded NTE5, i would say that it was a BT installation.

Notice that 3 pair cable is used throughout and how it is stapled with white staples. Also in the pic of inside the NTE only the blue and orange pair are visible. It looks like the green pair are being used on the mastering side of the socket which is crimped onto the blue pair inside the other socket and that blue and orange are being back-fed from the ADSL adaptor as an extension to that open socket. The open socket has no mastering components which would confirm this. Also note how the crimped wires are also twisted together to help prevent them seperating and how there is plenty of slack cable which is quite neatly rolled up. Indeed it looks more professional than the usual private affair and this is how most typical BT work could look.

Normally the NTE5 units sold by the likes of solwise, clarity etc are unbranded as they come straight from the suppliers whereas BT, NTL, Telewest etc get them on their own contracts.

You ought not cut any of the NTE5 wires off as it is technically part of the network if installed by a BT/openreach engineer. Those units are also normally very good and shouldn't be the cause of your woes. Try using the test socket. I expect cutting it off would leave you with no service at all since the other socket looks to be an extension which then appears to be daisy chained on elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:48:20 PM by soms »

anything