Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Elf & Safety Gone Nuts AGAIN!  (Read 2479 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Elf & Safety Gone Nuts AGAIN!
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:51:22 PM »

Elf & Safety is ruddy bonkers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7703212.stm

Or at least those who interpret the rules are bonkers.

dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Elf & Safety Gone Nuts AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »

I'm quite sure that the H&S regulations don't actually ban such activities - it is, as you say, the way that some people choose to interpret them.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »

:no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:35 AM »

Crazy, crazy country!
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:21:27 AM »

I think most of this has come about because of the 'ambulance-chasing' lawyers and the 'No win-no fee' cowboys.

The American idea of massive payouts first reared it's ugly head when the Piper Alpha disaster happened. Rescue helicopters were having difficulty landind at Aberdeen because some of these American lawyers in private jets were hogging runway landing slots and local airspace even when they were ordered by air traffic to keep a certain approach direction clear.

It then went from bad to worse when the proliferation of No win-No fee companies set up. Just take the example of the guy who's inquest was only last week (his name slips my memory). He 'went bust' owing lord knows how much in wages and to clients, but he had a £m home in the UK and a luxury yatch in the Med.

Just Google 'accident compensation' and you see why companies and councils are frightened of people having accidents, because even if an accident is through the person's own stupidity, these spiv lawyers can get them £1,000's in compense. Then the costs are out of this world to pay for these cowboys and the company that runs them.

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »

I agree with you dave.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

Hi
   Surely if an ACCIDENT has happened then there can be no claim. By definition an accident is just that. The real problem is that the judiciary does not seem to take that into account . The other point is that many claims are settled out of court because its cheaper than paying lawyers to defend against a claim.
regards :(
zen user

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »

So if the shop keeper puts up a tree and has an accident can they sue the council for not doing there job in the first place.  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »

I may be losing it now but I am sure that I can remember if anyone hurt themselves seiously at work they went to the firm's  First Aider and got a plaster on it or were sent to hospital for stitches or a pot. When they returned to work, it was entered in the Accident book, if there was one, and they continued in work but made sure they were not stupid enough to 'do it again'.

The machinery spaces in the Royal Navy were like a snake pit with steam pipes running everywhere and there would always be one pipe in a position next to a ladder that EVERYONE banged their head on ONCE! I say ONCE because you never did it a second time, but there were only the occassional 'barrack room lawyer' onboard so you could not sue the Chief Stoker for sending you down the boiler room and banging your head.

Those were the days!

dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »

We've had it all here in Norwich (probably as a consequence of all those bloody ambulance chasing lawyers)... the city council cutting down horse chestnut trees (for fear of conkers dropping on people's heads) and then banning window boxes in tower blocks (for fear of them dropping on people's heads).

And then there was the (unemployed single) mum who successfully *sued the county council because her son fell out of a tree at pre-school and broke his arm (which by all accounts healed perfectly well with no long lasting effects).  Sheesh, isn't that how we all learned to become aware of our environment by having those little mishaps?

The world's gone crackers.

* for a good few thousand quid
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 08:59:47 AM »

I think it was surrey county council who were fed up of constantly replacing toughened glass in a bus shelter so they tried polycarbonate.

A mother tried to sue the council because when her 14 year old son threw a brick at the shelter, the brick bounced off and hit him.

Magistrate threw the case out. Common sence can prevail

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »

Magistrate threw the case out

... presumably along with the brick
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."