Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Aid to India,Why?  (Read 3285 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Aid to India,Why?
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »

I have always said we look after anyone except our own................

http://tinyurl.com/5gsts3

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: Aid to India,Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »

Too true Uncy and I agree with the opinions aired by Gerald Warner.  There's a hidden agenda in this country with all the "aid" that's handed over by this government, it's OUR money that they are dishing out (wasting) and yet we have no say in it.  I don't think things will ever change, especially with this lot and no doubt any hidden agenda will be supported and perpetuated by any of 'em who's in power.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »

I must say that I find it quite offensive that we give money, supposedly for humanitarian aid to the poor of India, and their wealthy rulers spend it sending rockets to the moon. Why don't they spend their own money improving the lives of their poor?
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »

I have just read we have sent another £5 million in aid to DR Congo,yet why is it people in this country are refused life saving/extending drugs because of cost.
Why do we always have to get involved in these far off countries.If the likes of Bob Geldof ,Bono and company want to save the planet let them donate some of there billions to do so.
IMO most of the aid donated to these countries is either seized by rebels to buy arms or is pocketed by corrupt governments who don't give a toss about its people and then want western aid/troops to sort it all out.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »

I made it my policy many years ago that anything I ever give out will only benefit people of this country.
That also includes unwanted items to charity shops, although even then you will be hard pressed to find those also.
 (Not that there's much left after administration costs have been taken out.. 5/10% ?)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »

>>> Not that there's much left after administration costs have been taken out.. 5/10% ? <<<

I rmember several years ago reading the annual report of Oxfam.
The amount that reached the needy was one half of one percent of their revenue. A halfpenny in the pound.

Disgraceful. 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »

Hey, someone had to pay my "extortionate" fees for going around changing light bulbs...
(See previous articles on that subject)

I Never worked for Oxfam though.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »

I made it my policy many years ago that anything I ever give out will only benefit people of this country.

These days I've got a habit of supporting mostly local charities, such as the Norfolk & Norwich Association for the Blind who provide a lot of facilities for blind and partially sighted people, and the Caister Lifeboat, which is independent and not part of the RNLI.  I do make an exception for the poppy appeal tho.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »

I do make an exception for the poppy appeal tho.

No, sorry but I feel that one is "now" one of the biggest rackets going.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »

Well as you probably know my son is in the military, and we never know if he's going to get sent out to Iraq or Afghanistan.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »

We always support 'local' animal sancturies.One of them has big plastic tubs near the checkouts in our local Morrisons and you just donate tins of dog/catfood etc into the tubs.
A lady who use to work with Sue at Morrisons has set up a Springer spaniel rescue centre,she also has boarding kennels.We save/collect any old sheets and towels which she uses for bedding for the dogs.
When we visit she has chickens running everywhere and we always come away with a supply of jumbo sized freerange eggs.
If Sue had her way we would be coming away with a Springer  :o

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »

If Sue had her way we would be coming away with a Springer  :o

No doubt you'd call him Jerry..

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

As a Member of the R.B.L. Women's Section  when in the UK, I  must defend the Poppy Fund.   The Legion's constitution stresses that poppy funds must be held in trust as they are subscribed to by the public. They are held in a bank account separate from that of the branch and cannot be used for any purpose other than those stipulated, which are :-   to provide immediate assistance to ex-servicemen and women in need. This may include food, shelter or medical attention for them or their families. Also bursaries are granted to children and grandchildren of ex-service personnel;  for low-rental housing and care facilities for elderly or disabled persons and their dependants, community medical appliances and medical research, day care centres, meals-on-wheels, transportation and related services for veterans, their dependants and the aged.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:09:56 AM »

I also think the poppy fund is an excellent way of remembering our armed forces and getting support to those who have lost family members to war and need a bit of extra help.