Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DMT Tool  (Read 8035 times)

otester

Re: DMT Tool
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »

That's what I meant, you might lose a little bit of speed, but can put the SNR down further to compensate. The point of interleaving, it can make a line more stable, i.e. not disconnect as frequently!

Yes, it might be the router, you can only say for sure by borrowing another one and trying it out.

Not sure what you mean by "minimum SNR". I would suggest you get RouterStats and look at your SNR over time. You should will be able to see what the SNR is just before your line drops.

Seems routerstats can't find my stats, gets stat page, but actual stats not shown. Any other programs?

Monitoring with DMT Tool shows it only fluctuates upwards, otherwise hovers between +/-3%.

EDIT: Sharply fluctuated to over -40% then went back to normal, so better to do isolation test with line or go interleave?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:47:54 PM by otester »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »

Note that for Routerstats (full version) to use a DSL-2740B correctly you need V4.7 and use the telnet interface. I have this running here on a DSL-2740B, also RouterstatsLite works with this router, again make sure you have the latest version from the author's page. Be aware that the Lite also uses the telnet interface for this router, and you can only have one telnet session open with the router at a time so you wold need to disconnect DMT if its active.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

otester

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »

Note that for Routerstats (full version) to use a DSL-2740B correctly you need V4.7 and use the telnet interface. I have this running here on a DSL-2740B, also RouterstatsLite works with this router, again make sure you have the latest version from the author's page. Be aware that the Lite also uses the telnet interface for this router, and you can only have one telnet session open with the router at a time so you wold need to disconnect DMT if its active.

I have v4.7, what link did you use for the stats page?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »

Use the Telnet interface, on the Netgear telnet settings tab activate 'Enable Telnet' (yes I know it says Netgear just but it works) then select the 'Experimental Settings' tab and set it like the attached picture. It will use the password from the very first settings tab. Obviously you will have to set the correct username and ip address.

[attachment deleted by admin]

otester

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »

Use the Telnet interface, on the Netgear telnet settings tab activate 'Enable Telnet' (yes I know it says Netgear just but it works) then select the 'Experimental Settings' tab and set it like the attached picture. It will use the password from the very first settings tab. Obviously you will have to set the correct username and ip address.

Ok it's working kind of, just the graph isn't doing anything  :-X

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

Make sure you select the graph on the telnet router main tab and then the  RX Noise sub tab it will show a grpah which works - or at least does for me.

otester

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »

Make sure you select the graph on the telnet router main tab and then the  RX Noise sub tab it will show a grpah which works - or at least does for me.

Brilliant!

Margin is set on 30% at the moment @ 3488Kbps, I'll post results back daily.

otester

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 12:45:40 AM »

Bit early yet but this seems to happen every ~1/2 hour, same for the sync rate as well...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 07:20:39 AM »

Check that those blips aren't just Routerstats glitches. Sometimes Routerstats simply fails to connect with the router and get a sample, and then it reports zero for that sample. The router uptime should tell you whether that's happened in your case.

If they are real dropouts, then it's very likely caused by a central heating thermostat, or fridge freezer, or something like that.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]