Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DMT Tool  (Read 8033 times)

otester

DMT Tool
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

I set the SNRM to minimum (10%) then selected resync, if I then select a lower one again will it lower it again or does the starting variable always stay the same?

(I think I can push it a bit further if possible, I asked this question instead of trying it practically because it might mess up my DSLAM resync a day).

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: DMT Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »

If you select a lower SNR then yes, it will lower the SNR further.

You need to save it in order to make it a 'permanent' change in your router.

In order not to mess up the BT DLM profile, I would monitor the SNR setting for a day or two before trying to lower it again, particularly if the new SNR is quite low (under 6dB).

Hope that helps
Chris

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »

Just been chatting to kitz and she pointed out something... which router are you using?

Some save the DMT'd value as the new default and then use a percentage of THAT each time, doing an incremental change that I think you're getting at.

Others use an absolute default that doesn't change.

We need to know which router you have though, in order to answer that question.
Chris

otester

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »

Just been chatting to kitz and she pointed out something... which router are you using?

Some save the DMT'd value as the new default and then use a percentage of THAT each time, doing an incremental change that I think you're getting at.

Others use an absolute default that doesn't change.

We need to know which router you have though, in order to answer that question.

DSL-2740B

Seems it has a fixed value as trying the tool again produced normal results (loosing my 4100+ sync now down to 3300)  :'(

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:17:06 AM »

No the router doesn't save the settings after a reboot or resync :no:
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

otester

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »

No the router doesn't save the settings after a reboot or resync :no:

Wouldn't that mean then that if you had a 4000+ (with DMT) and then rebooted and got 3000, would it instantly screw your profile down?

Also it seems my router keeps rebooting/loosing connection since uptime is only 1 hour (and everyone has been out today) since early this morning.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:22:16 PM by otester »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 05:31:32 PM »

>>Wouldn't that mean then that if you had a 4000+ (with DMT) and then rebooted and got 3000, would it instantly screw your profile down?

I am not sure on that to be honest...

>>Also it seems my router keeps rebooting/loosing connection since uptime is only 1 hour (and everyone has been out today) since early this morning.

Possible the adjustment you made to your SNR is causing the SNR to drop too much and therefore cause the connection to drop :(

Could you post your stats up so we can take a look? :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

otester

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »

>>Wouldn't that mean then that if you had a 4000+ (with DMT) and then rebooted and got 3000, would it instantly screw your profile down?

I am not sure on that to be honest...

>>Also it seems my router keeps rebooting/loosing connection since uptime is only 1 hour (and everyone has been out today) since early this morning.

Possible the adjustment you made to your SNR is causing the SNR to drop too much and therefore cause the connection to drop :(

Could you post your stats up so we can take a look? :)

Seemed at 4500/4900 the SNR sometimes went to 5.6 so I'll set it just above 10% (20% ?), so I supposedly get a healthy 3.5/4Mbps connection.

Here are the stats as of the reboot (few minutes ago), will probably reboot 2moz to improve the sync rate again otherwise it wont move.

Mode : G.DMT 
Type: Fast 
Line Coding : Trellis On 

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) : 3712  448 
SNR Margin (dB) : 8.8  19.0 
Attenuation (dB) : 49.0  28.5 

Output Power (dBm) : 18.7  11.8 
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) : 117  15 
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) : 0  0 
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) : 1  1 
D (interleaver depth) : 1  1 
Delay (msec) : 0  0 
Super Frames : 0  0 
Super Frame Errors : 0  0 
RS Words : 0  0 
RS Correctable Errors : 0  0 
RS Uncorrectable Errors : 0  N/A 
HEC Errors : 0  0 
OCD Errors : 0  0 
LCD Errors : 0  0 
Total Cells : 0  0   
Data Cells : 0   0 
Bit Errors : 0  0 
Total ES : 3  0 
Total SES : 0  0 
Total UAS : 21  0 

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »

Are those stats with or without the SNR adjustment?

If so is your target snr 9dB?

It could be that with the adjusted SNR the line cannot handle the lower SNR Margin. Not all lines can handle it and that is most likely why DLM has moved yours to 9dB.
Kind Regards
Jamie

otester

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 06:14:41 PM »

Are those stats with or without the SNR adjustment?

If so is your target snr 9dB?

It could be that with the adjusted SNR the line cannot handle the lower SNR Margin. Not all lines can handle it and that is most likely why DLM has moved yours to 9dB.

Well I noticed it was ok at 8.6dB, just drops when it went below 6, in about 6 hours (11:45) I'll be able to give you a better answer, and then again in a further ~12 hours.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »

OK.

Keep us updated:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

otester

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »

OK.

Keep us updated:D

Dropped again in the last hour after about a days uptime. Now synced at 3300  :'(

I can get it to sync at least 3500+ tomorrow morning but I just need to stop it from dropping the connection, the current SNR is a solid 12dB.

I don't think the SNR is causing it, maybe just the router?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:26:38 PM by otester »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:27:13 PM »

It might be worthwhile getting your ISP to enable Interleaving on your line in order to increase the stability. It may help.

You will lose a little bit of speed, and your ping times will increase (only of interest if you play online games), but conversely, you might be able to push the SNR down a bit further without the line dropping, so get the same speed with more stability.
Chris

otester

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 09:29:46 PM »

It might be worthwhile getting your ISP to enable Interleaving on your line in order to increase the stability. It may help.

You will lose a little bit of speed, and your ping times will increase (only of interest if you play online games), but conversely, you might be able to push the SNR down a bit further without the line dropping, so get the same speed with more stability.

Wouldn't that then cancel out the supposed gain from pushing the SNR down?

Also how do I not know the router isn't just causing this? Can I find out what my minimum SNR is?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »

That's what I meant, you might lose a little bit of speed, but can put the SNR down further to compensate. The point of interleaving, it can make a line more stable, i.e. not disconnect as frequently!

Yes, it might be the router, you can only say for sure by borrowing another one and trying it out.

Not sure what you mean by "minimum SNR". I would suggest you get RouterStats and look at your SNR over time. You should will be able to see what the SNR is just before your line drops.
Chris
Pages: [1] 2