Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Why so many gaps?  (Read 32770 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Why so many gaps?
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »

I cant remember if we explained this before - but Im sure youre using OpenDNS as a backup DNS server anyhow.

All DNS is - is think of it like the phone book for the internet, thats used by say your web browser.
When you type www.abc.com into your web browser..  DNS looks up the IP address so your browser can go to to 123.456.78.90

If DNS is down it doesnt stop you using the internet - it just stops you being able to "look up" any new numbers. 
DNS is cached for a short period of time by your browser, and it remembers the IP number and doesnt have to look it up again.

Think of it like this..  if you cant find the phone book to look up your friends phone no then youre a bit stuck.   But if you already know the number you can still phone him.
By using OpenDNS, your simply using 'another phone book' just in case your ISPs one goes down.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Rahat

• Reg Member
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »

He also told me that other users from my exchange, Upton Park, are experiencing resyncs at the similar time intervals that i described.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »

All DNS is - is think of it like the phone book for the internet

I really like that analogy :)
Chris
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

anything