Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Windows7  (Read 38943 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Windows7
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »

That's probably the main reason why current XP users don't like it, (including myself) because the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc time around of trying to do anything we come across either one problem after another, or it does not seem to do what "we" want it to do (easily).

However, I do use it for converting movie files to DVD format.
Currently the movie I am converting if using XP would take in the region of 45minutes, but using the same PC with Vista installed on a duel-boot system (so the spec is the same) only takes around 15-20minutes for the same movie.

Although I have persevered with Vista for a few months "On & Off", it's not the operating system that will be used on a daily basis. But it does have some beneficial uses, as outlined above.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

edit:
Although I have to admit, I have 2 printers connected to a XP PC and shared through the Vista PC without any setup problems.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:12:59 AM by oldfogy »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 12:48:06 AM »

The official legal beta goes live today (Friday 9th).

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2009, 07:56:40 AM »

Seems the official release date has been leaked out...........23rd October

http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/news/2009/05/01/Acer-Spills-Windows-7-Release-Date/p1

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »

I've been running Windows 7 on my media centre for over a week now and I think it's great.

A lot faster than Vista at doing everything with 2GB of RAM in it.

Games run faster and menu navigation is quicker.  The install was virtually the same as Vista.  I did a clean install coz I heard that it doesn't like to do an upgrade.  Tried the upgrade but it crashed.

It found all my hardware and installed it apart from the decoder part of the Hauppauge TV card - installed the Vista driver and it was all good.

Its got a few new features and quirks but i'm getting used to it.

Paul
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything